Kicking off a Boot Scootin’ weekend

SMU’s annual Family Weekend officially kicks off Friday with a luncheon at 12 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg ballroom. President Turner will welcome families from across the country.

The talent show is tonight at 8 p.m. in McFarlin Auditorium. “The Talent Show proves to be pretty exciting each year. Brad Skeba is returning as the MC this year, and we have a lot of great individual, as well as group acts lined up,” Emily Wilson, Student Foundation president said.

Families can attend a barbeque outside Clements Hall Saturday from 4-6 p.m. Tailgating on the Boulevard begins in the afternoon leading up to the game against Sam Houston State at 7 p.m.

“Having all the family members here and all the different clubs out on the boulevard should help get everybody pumped for the first home game,” said Mackenzie Faddis, a member of Student Foundation.

Parents even have the opportunity to attend class with their child to see what classes are like for them.

“I’m sure that [the parents] appreciate the opportunity to experience campus life along with their students for a few days,” Wilson said. “Being able to meet friends of their students and to get a feel for the SMU personality alleviates some of the stress and anxiety associated with sending a child to college for the first time.”

Student Foundation has been hard at work making sure that the weekend is as exciting and fun-filled as possible.

All of these activities are supposed to “convey the atmosphere of student life at the university,” said Wilson. “Family Weekend is intended to be a special time for SMU parents to be able to visit their students on campus and participate.” This year, an estimated 700 families are expected to come to Boot Scootin’ SMU.

In addition to showing parents and siblings what a wonderful place SMU is, Student Foundation aims to help new students adjust as well. “We’re trying to get a family connection so kids can feel like they’re not so far from home,” Faddis said.