Lacrosse trounces Austin College

Following their first ever defeat of the University of Texas Longhorns, members of SMU’s lacrosse team (7-1) prepared for a pair of weekend contests against the University of Texas-Dallas and Austin College.

When UTD forfeited Saturday’s game, however, the Mustangs applied their unused energy to manhandle the Kangaroos from Austin College, 18-2.

“I think the biggest thing that separated us was just controlling the ball,” said team captain Chip Hiemenz. “We were able to maintain control of the entire game.”

Charging to an 11-1 halftime lead under Sunday’s sunny skies, SMU won easily despite the absence of senior defender and three-year starter Roberto Palomo, who sat out the game with a broken ankle.

Palomo’s injury led to other players taking the stage against Austin College, something Hiemenz would like to see more of in the future.

“It’s really time for some of the younger guys to step up and fill in the void,” he said.

The team now has over a month off before returning to action on Apr. 10 to host cross-town rival Texas Christian University. After facing the Horned Frogs, SMU will battle the University of North Texas Mean Green in Denton in the final regular-season game.

Following the game against UNT, the Mustangs will likely play either UT or Texas Tech to kick off this year’s Lonestar Alliance playoffs.

“We have a little time off to get ready for the playoff stretch,” Hiemenz said, “so we’re just going to keep practicing from here on out.”