Marriage and mayhem in “The Oh in Ohio”

Love and marriage has never seemed as difficult or entertaining as it does in “The Oh in Ohio,” the new independent film from Cold Iron Pictures, The AV Club and Ambush Entertainment.

The film, directed by newcomer Billy Kent, starts as a focus on a married couple, Jack and Priscilla Chase (Parker Posey and Paul Rudd, respectively), who would have a great marriage- except for the fact that Priscilla has never had an orgasm. This fact thoroughly frustrates Jack, while Priscilla seems to have no problem with it. Upon the purchase of a vibrator, their marriage falls apart and the movie really splits into two different plotlines: Priscilla’s discovery of herself as she explores a relationship with a local pool company owner (Danny DeVito) and Jack finding self-confidence again through an affair with one of his students (Mischa Barton).

Posey and Rudd easily carry the film, both of them playing roles markedly different than their usual. Posey’s previous works include this summer’s “Superman Returns” and a number of Christopher Guest films, such as “Waiting for Guffman” and “Best in Show.” Rudd has slowly but surely been making a name for himself as well since his turn in 1995’s “Clueless,” starring in recent blockbuster comedies such as “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy” and “The 40 Year Old Virgin.” Both actors have a solid body of work, so they’re unsurprisingly terrific in “The Oh in Ohio.” Their chemistry really makes the film.

Mischa Barton plays her role in a remarkably honest way, which was really unexpected considering the young actress is best known for her work on the Fox teen drama “The O.C.” As a young student who helps Rudd’s character Jack fully realize his manhood, Barton strikes a lustful and blunt tone. Danny DeVito, as “Wayne the Pool Guy,” steals the show whenever he’s in the shot. Every line out of his mouth is gold and it’s worth it to see the movie just for his performance and the awkwardly sweet relationship he develops with Parker Posey’s character. For the most part, the featured actors (Parker Posey, Paul Rudd, Danny DeVito and Mischa Barton, with cameos from Heather Graham and Liza Minnelli) are really doing some of their best work.

“The Oh in Ohio” is both hilarious and poignant in all the appropriate places. The movie explores non-traditional views of love, marriage and sex in a fresh, funny and realistic way. The film’s screenplay, written by Adam Wierzbianski, is fast-paced and quirky and, though the ending is left open, you’ll leave the theatre feeling satisfied. At the first screening of the movie that took place this past April at the South by Southwest Film Festival, both women and men in the audience were actually approaching director Kent and thanking him for making the movie.

“The Oh in Ohio” is showing at the Magnolia Theatre, located on McKinney Avenue in Crescent Court.