Greener is cleaner: tips to save energy

Greener is cleaner
Greener is cleaner

Greener is cleaner

I’m a big believer in life’s little victories, like on 100 degree days when the only cloud in the sky heroically stands between you and the blazing sun. The difference between a great day and a really great day is often determined by the summation of these little touchdowns.

Who even notices these things, really? I’m not certain, but my inquisitive, quirky engineering lifestyle is probably responsible for this paranoid awareness of every such nuance, vibration, and shimmer. Talk about sensory overload. I’m not rambling about my heightened senses because I think I’m a superhero, but because this blessing/curse has driven me to a adopt a more environmentally friendly lifestyle.

When I drive an automobile, it’s almost as if I can feel the energy wasted through thousands of moving mechanical components. Metal on metal-friction. The fact that my truck achieves somewhere around 13 miles per premium gallon of gasoline only reinforces this affliction. It would almost be justifiable if I were towing a parade float or transporting the Cowboy’s cheerleaders, but it’s just me.

Now if there’s one thing I appreciate most, its efficiency. Through logical analysis of this situation, I conclude that by driving my truck, I am simply consuming a larger portion of resources than necessary. Inefficiency-damn. I bet you’ve just had the same epiphany, “Wow, maybe I too am needlessly using resources that could be better applied elsewhere; to conserve the rainforests or to find a cure for cancer.”

Now I’m no tree hugger, but you’re right, most of us aren’t making the most selfless decisions, especially in the context of automobiles. I’m a gearhead at heart (can you say hemi?) but I do extend respect to those motorists who have foregone the SUV in favor of more practical, eco-friendly technologies.

For the majority of us who aren’t going to sell our gas-guzzlers for a hybrid, it’s easy to leave a “smaller” footprint. If you live on campus like me, then try walking to class rather than driving. Go ahead and roll your eyes. The longest walk any student should face, from the South Quad to Daniel Avenue, takes eight minutes flat at a brisk pace. If that’s just too much to ask, you might think about investing in a bicycle. The lost pounds and saved minutes will quickly compensate for the monetary cost. Sure, you might laugh at the geek on his 10-speed, until you realize he reaches class in less time. If you choose this route however, proceed with caution. Speaking from experience, it’s easy to get caught up in the entire bike-savvy culture and get a little over zealous. All too often, a recreational cyclist will “wear the yellow jersey,” pedal beyond their means, and lose control. As a side note, if you’ve ever been irate at a guy who cut you off on a bicycle, but felt better when you saw him go over the handlebars later, it was probably me.

You know what’s cool? Public transportation. This summer, I attended classes while living in Richardson. This inevitably required a 35-mile round-trip daily commute. Enter Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART), our city’s network of buses, trains and shuttles. Instead of enduring US-75 every morning and evening, I would drive approximately one mile to the nearest DART station, catch a train to Mockingbird Station, and take the Mustang Express over to campus. How much did this effortless trip cost? Approximately one hour of my precious time. Considering an average gasoline price of $3 per gallon, I saved over $300 this summer. To share the wealth, just visit Park-n-Pony in Hughes Trigg to have your transit pass made. It is only $5 per year.

Wait, there’s more! The transit pass isn’t just effective in Dallas, but also Ft. Worth and everywhere in between. I confirmed this one Saturday, when I traveled from Plano to Dallas Union Station, to Downtown Ft. Worth, to the Stockyards, to the Ft. Worth museum district, and all the way back again (about 110 miles)-entirely on public transportation.

There are two sweeping generalities of people you’re likely to encounter while riding the DART system. You’ve got the 8-5ers, with their noses buried in the daily Quick, and the crazy people. With shaggy hair, Chuck Taylors, and a knack for making eye contact, I nestled somewhere between those two extremes; non-descript enough yet unstable enough to mingle with both ends of the train car. From simply listening to strangers, I’m now more knowledgeable about Native American sovereignty, contraception, and sitcom trivia, among other topics. I certainly received my daily dose of perspective, and wish everyone could share such a positive experience. In short, favoring resources like public transportation will make will make you greener, richer, wiser and lighter.

Sadly, all measures covered to this point require a certain degree of sacrificed time and convenience. However, conserving energy and reducing emissions may be, the novelty of trains and bicycles expire at some point. Left with few options, most people will gravitate to their old ways. Since I’m all about sustainability, the world wouldn’t be right if there wasn’t a balanced solution to our dilemma, and I think I’ve found it.

Admittedly, testosterone and impulse were contributing factors when I purchased a motorcycle this summer. Aside from fulfilling my male dream, it has quenched my endeavor to move from A to B by using less energy. The bike itself is green actually. No, it’s not the perfect answer, as triple digit temperatures remind me that the dog days of summer aren’t the best for straddling a pair of 200 degree pistons. Every once in a while, that lone cloud shields me from the sun, scoring another little victory and reinforcing my opinion that no matter how hot it is, any day is a good day to get 50 miles per gallon.

About the writer:

Kyle Yarberry is a junior mechanical engineering major. He can be reached at [email protected].