Sing Song set to take stage

Sing Song set to take stage
Sing Song set to take stage

Sing Song set to take stage

Greek organizations will face off in the Sing Song talent show contest tonight. The SMU Program Council hosts the event each year for student organizations. Special events chair Lulu Seikaly said that the Sing Song has been a part of the SMU tradition since the idea was stolen from Baylor back in the 1970s. The event encourages organizations to arrange themselves into groups to display their theatrical and musical talent.

“This year the competition is going to be really close,” Seikaly said. “All the groups have worked hard on their shows.

“Last night was the final dress rehearsal, and do to the pressure of the competitors there may be some changes.”

Participant Ken Morris admits that he made many mistakes during rehearsals, but he is very confident in his group’s upcoming show.

“If there was a word to described all the different kinds of ‘amazings’, that word would be the word to describe our performance,” said Morris. There are six groups competing this year. Kappa Kappa Gamma and Kappa Alpha Order make up one group. Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma are a group, Pi Beta Phi and Lambda Chi Alpha make up a group, and Delta Gamma and Sigma Epsilon are performing together. Gamma Phi Beta and Theta are each performing alone. Participants will wear costumes while singing, dancing and acting out different skits.

The entire production was created under the theme “City Lights,” evoking images of skylines in cities such as New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Each group is going to perform an eight-minute Broadway show. “The show normally sells out,” Seikaly said. “We sell out every year because the performers invite many supporters.”

Sing Song will start at 7:30 p.m. in McFarlin Theater. Student tickets are $8, while all others are $10. Tickets are available at the Mane Desk in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center.