Volleyball heads west for tournament

The SMU women’s volleyball team heads to California this weekend to participate in the LMU Four Points Sheraton Hotel LAX Classic.

The Mustangs go into the tournament with a 6-1 record, including winning two tournaments they hosted here in Dallas. This is the best start the program has had in SMU history. SMU currently has the best record of all four teams in the tournament.

In Los Angeles, the volleyball team will face Loyola Marymount University, the University of California-Irvine and the University of Nevada. The Mustangs played LMU last year in the Fullerton Classic, losing to the Lions 3-2. SMU did not play UCI or Nevada in the 2005 season.

Team standouts expected to contribute to a solid performance include junior outside hitters Caitlin Rainbird and Rachel Giubilato, sophomore middle blocker Natalie Peters and freshmen Kendra Kahanek and Candice Davis. Rainbird and Giubilato have each posted three double-doubles already this season; Giubilato was named the MVP of the SMU Radisson Hotel Invitational in late August.

Peters is holding down the front line, notching 21 kills against UTA and gaining MVP honors in the Radisson Hotel Mustang Classic with six blocks and 15 kills throughout the tournament. With 27 digs, freshman Candice Davis earned the Libero of the Tournament title during the Classic.

Kahanek is also quickly proving to be an asset to the team; she posted ten kills and had five assists in the game against Toledo, helping the Mustangs to win the Classic. Setters Stefanie Kons and Madison Hill have each averaged 12 assists per game. Head coach Lisa Seifert expects the LMU tournament to be a good test of the team’s skills.

SMU heads into the tournament with the best record; LMU is 5-2 after losing to Tennessee and Arizona State. Heather Hughes and Jania Motton lead the Lions in hosting the tournament. UCI comes into the tournament not having won a single game so far in the season.

The Mustangs play at LMU Friday night against Nevada then take on LMU and UCI in a double-header on Saturday. This is the third of four tournaments the Mustangs play during the regular season. SMU volleyball returns to Dallas to play its first C-USA match against Tulsa Tuesday Sept. 12.