‘Team BlackBerry SMU’ fights back

Photo Courtesy of Conner Sherline
A group of eight students created Team BlackBerry SMU to promote the relevance of the BlackBerry. The group debuted on Thursday.

A group of eight students created Team BlackBerry SMU to promote the relevance of the BlackBerry. The group debuted on Thursday. (Photo Courtesy of Conner Sherline)

The underdog is taking a stand.

As the ever-dominant conglomerate, Apple continues to infiltrate college campuses nationwide with the iPhone.

BlackBerry has decided to fight back.

And it’s calling all BlackBerry users at SMU.

If that hasn’t caught your attention yet, here’s a final attempt — there is now a new software upgrade that offers the latest version of BBM.

That’s right, a new version of BlackBerry Messenger was pushed to all current BlackBerries to install and upgrade.

Not only is there a new BBM option, BlackBerry recently released the newest version of their operating system, along with multiple brand new devices.

The operating system now offers new services, such as word processor and other tools that could help college students multitask in a more proficient manner while on the go.

Some of the new devices offer a touchscreen option in addition to the individual keys as well.

While this may sound great, what if you don’t like the upgrades or don’t really understand how to use all of the new functions?

Team BlackBerry SMU has your answer.

This new group on campus made its debut at SMU Thursday at a table on the west bridge near Hughes-Trigg Student Center.

The team, comprised of eight SMU students, is similar to the Mac User Group on campus, but is geared toward BlackBerry users instead.

“BlackBerry is relevant,” Connor Sherline, junior and member of Team BlackBerry SMU said. “It’s not a dying breed and that’s what we’re trying to remind people.”

Team BlackBerry SMU will endure the heat to answer students’ questions, BlackBerry users or not, in order to promote awareness of the cell phone’s new features.

They are tapping into social media by establishing a Foursquare check-in location at their desk, along with offering free paraphernalia when someone tweets #TeamBlackBerry or @BlackBerry.

The ongoing battle between the iPhone and the BlackBerry continues, so let the software continue to upgrade.