Drinking and driving hits home

Five SMU students involved in drunk driving accident

It was supposed to be a fun three-day weekend for SMU students. Fraternities socialized with the new freshmen, students congregated in front of Dallas Hall in an attempt to cheer the Mustangs on to a first-game victory, and then something not so expected happened: five SMU students found themselves amidst yet another drunk driving accident.

Just after 2 a.m. on Monday morning, Dallas Police attempted to pull over a man they say was weaving on the highway. As an officer approached the vehicle, the 21-year-old male sped away on to Mockingbird Lane, running a red light at the intersection of North Central Expressway and Mockingbird.

A group of SMU students were crossing Mockingbird Lane in a student driven car when two SUVs collided, wrapping up the car full of kids in the process. The driver of the suspicious car and his passenger were both seriously injured. Two others from another involved car were killed.

The man accused of causing the accident has four previous DWI arrests, a history of police pursuits, and possibly a suspended license. If he survives, he is expected to be charged with intoxicated manslaughter.

As for the SMU students involved, the driver, a freshman, was transported to Baylor, and underwent surgery Monday morning for a broken arm and severe burns. A second SMU student was transported to the same hospital to undergo tests. No other details about the remaining three passengers are known.

This situation brings drunk driving close to home. It can happen to you whether you have been drinking or not.

Not to say that these students weren’t being careful, but when driving late at night on weekends be aware that the people on the road with you may have been drinking. And if you have been drinking, find another way to get home.

Some things in life cannot be avoided and some of those things are terrible, but what is even more terrible is if you have a chance to steer clear of a bad situation and don’t.