Students look to get involved

Sophomore Ross Neubauer and look on as a representative from the Dallas Zoo handles a snake at the Volunteer Expo yesterday in Hughes-Trigg.
Casey Lee

Sophomore Ross Neubauer and look on as a representative from the Dallas Zoo handles a snake at the Volunteer Expo yesterday in Hughes-Trigg. (Casey Lee)

The Leadership and Community Involvement held its annual Volunteer Expo in the lower level of Hughes-Trigg on Wednesday to connect SMU students and faculty to various philanthropic organizations in Dallas.

Sixty-three different organizations were showcased at the expo, which exhibited a variety of volunteer opportunities. Representatives from each organization had presentations set up in the Hughes-Trigg ballroom.

Interested individuals were able to walk around and talk to members of an organization that interested them. Everyone in attendance was given a checklist of each organization present, and would check off each philanthropy they visited. Then, they would get a raffle ticket for every organization. Raffle prizes ranged from Starbucks gift cards to a $5000 scholarship donated by Mustang Outreach.

While prizes and free pizza were a good draw to the expo, students kept the true spirit of the event in mind. First-year Anna Kiappes was very involved with volunteering in high school and hopes to carry that involvement into her college career. One organization that interested her was CONTACT Crisis Line, noting that, “my friends say I’m a good listener, so I think I could help the crisis hotline.”

Joe Macchia, Coordinator of Research and Service-Learning at Leadership and Community Involvement, explained that the expo, “bridged the gap between the community and the campus.” He further observed that, “the gap is narrowing; the tide is turning and SMU is becoming more community oriented…it is amazing to see the dedication among our students.”

However, . Macchia asserted that the event is not necessarily limited to students at SMU- faculty and staff were also encouraged to look into the volunteer opportunities. Additionally, Leadership and Community Involvement works to connect faculty with volunteer opportunities that are relevant to their respective fields.

Previously held outdoors by the flagpole, the Volunteer Expo was moved inside this year due to weather. With the new location came some concerns: although the weather would not be an issue, the move resulted in a loss in student turnout. The event, which normally hosts between 400 to 500 students, was only expected to bring in about 250 this year.

Sophomores Ross Neubauer and Mercedes Ulibarri look on as a representative from the Dallas Zoo handles a snake at the Volunteer Expo yesterday in Hughes-Trigg. (Casey Lee)