Braff, Barrett and Bilson share ‘The Last Kiss’

“The Last Kiss,” the new Dreamworks film directed by Tony Goldwyn and starring Zach Braff, is a predictable but solid entry into the coming-of-age genre.

Written for the screen by Paul Haggis (“Million Dollar Baby,” “Crash”) and based on the Gabriele Muccino film “L’ultimo bacio,” “The Last Kiss” has enough clever dialogue and charismatic cast members to make you forget that you know exactly how the movie is going to end.

The film focuses on Michael (Zach Braff), a 29-year-old architect whose girlfriend Jenna (Jacinda Barrett) is pregnant. Through audible monologues, Michael reveals to the audience that he’s rapidly growing anxious about turning 30 and the fact that his life may not have any more surprises in store for him. While sulking around a friend’s wedding, he meets Kim (Rachel Bilson), an innocently seductive college student with a fresh outlook on life.

As Michael struggles with temptation in the face of what he considers to be a monotonous existence, Jenna’s parents (Blythe Danner and Tom Wilkinson) experience marital dysfunction. Meanwhile, Michael’s friends Chris (Casey Affleck), Izzy (Michael Weston) and Kenny (Eric Christian Olsen) are all going through their own pre-mid-life crises similar in nature and emotion to Michael’s.

Don’t go to “The Last Kiss” expecting another “Garden State.” This film is not as original or interesting as the 2004 Sundance favorite, which Braff wrote and directed in addition to playing the lead, Andrew Largeman. Many of the situations in “The Last Kiss” borrow from the conventions of its genre and thus make everything seem vaguely familiar. That’s not to say that “The Last Kiss” isn’t worth your time, though.

The music alone is worth seeing the film for. After winning a Grammy for compiling the “Garden State” soundtrack, it’s no wonder that Zach Braff was asked to select the music for “The Last Kiss.” Braff has struck gold again with incredible songs from artists like Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Imogen Heap, Rufus Wainwright, Fiona Apple, Ray LaMontagne, Remy Zero and Turin Breaks.

Every song is pitch perfect for the scene it accompanies, from the film’s opening with “Chocolate” by Snow Patrol to the credits rolling to Turin Breaks’ “Pain Killer” as you exit the theatre.

The acting is also top notch. Zach Braff turns in yet another delightfully charming and nuanced performance as the film’s lead. The movie would be quite a different animal without Braff’s raw talent and endearing awkwardness.

Jacinda Barrett, filling in the girlfriend role vacated by Rachel McAdams (who originally occupied the part), is generally lovely and provides a sympathetic female character in the male-drama dominated film. In her film debut, Rachel Bilson (of Fox’s “The O.C.”) is everything the script calls for her to be: sexy, quirky and naive. Barrett and Bilson are both so likable that the audience almost has trouble deciding who Braff’s character should end up with.

Affleck, Weston and Olsen, as the obligatory best friends, are all terrific, playing distinctively different characters who have a world of problems of their own. Their talent is such that the audience invests in their characters as well, so their plotlines never feel like they detract from the main story.

Danner and Wilkinson ground the film with experience alone, but their scenes often weigh the film down and seem extraneous. By the end of the film, however, they fit right in with all of the other confused youths and the film is better for it.

Overall, “The Last Kiss” is light fare without being TOO light. Because it focuses on the rarely mentioned anxiety about turning 30, is extremely well-written and acted, and has stand-out music, it’s possibly one of the best films of the fall. If you like Zach Braff, the not-quite-indie genre of filmmaking and/or coming-of-age films, it’s well worth the ticket price.

Samantha Urban is a Sophomore Journalism major and may be reached for further comment or question at [email protected]