Cosmic Cafe offers healthy, vegan alternatives

Cosmic+Cafe%2C+located+in+Dallas%E2%80%99+Oak+Lawn+area%2C+serves+a+variety+of+foods+that+please+anyone%2C+not+just+the+vegans+of+which+it+targets.+
Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Cosmic Cafe, located in Dallas’ Oak Lawn area, serves a variety of foods that please anyone, not just the vegans of which it targets.

Cosmic Cafe, located in Dallas’ Oak Lawn area, serves a variety of foods that please anyone, not just the vegans of which it targets. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

As patrons walk into Cosmic Café, they are greeted by bright colors, assorted Buddha figurines and a fresh breath of relaxation.

Located at 2912 Oak Lawn Ave., Cosmic Café brings Dallas one of the very few truly vegetarian restaurants, offering up Indian-inspired dishes and even some vegan items.

Seating is open, and if it’s a nice day, their front porch is a great spot to dine al fresco.

The patrons feel as if they’ve stepped out of Dallas. The scenery is never boring.

From Asian lamps hanging to Indian rugs on the ceilings to a little Buddha figurine watching over you as you take a bite of your samosa, Cosmic Café brings you to a new place.

The friendly wait staff help vegetarian new comers by explaining the menu.

Speaking of the menu, instead of appetizers, they offer “primordial energy,” “souper nova” for soups, “big bang entrees” and “celestial light offerings.”

If you’re not so much of a hippie or not quite in tune with your inner Buddha, have no fear.

Patrons range from young to old people, office lunches and devout Cosmic Café eaters.

Vegetarian and non-vegetarians alike can enjoy their entire menu and not even miss the meat.

Menu items range from soup and salad to stir-frys and smoothies.

Whatever diners order on the menu, they can expect all-natural, healthy meals with plenty of greens.

If you’re just stopping by for a light snack, the soups are a satisfying, delicious option.

The squash bisque is lightly spiced and goes well with a side of their fresh garlic nan bread. Other light snacks include their smoothies, made with or without dairy or one of their sweet options like the banana, honey, peanut butter and tahini on nan.

Curry lovers can get their fix, with a new curry each day, but be sure to ask the waiter or waitress the spice level of the daily special.

Their curries vary in spicy levels, so it’s important that you ask if your dish includes curry sauce.

Another item that rotates daily is their vegan desserts that have no dairy products.

Cosmic Café’s main dishes range from their curried vegetables, samosas, dahl, spinach enchiladas, stir fry, falafel with pita, black bean burgers and more.

With so many options, it makes it hard to choose just one, and also makes it easy to forget the lack of meat.

The stir-fry comes with grilled tofu, asparagus, cauliflower, bell peppers, onions, carrots, squash, snow peas and ginger served over basmati rice and a side salad.

The vegetables are grilled and topped with a light curry sauce that makes for a very bland meal.

The veggies are fresh and plentiful, and the salad takes up half the plate.

It’s a nice way to fill up on veggies, but the blandness was a bit surprising, seeing as curry usually has a kick to it.

Ruml’s falafel, served on nan with yogurt dressing, tomatoes, onions, sprouts and lettuce, proved to be filling and delicious, but slightly dry.

Falafel, a chickpea patty, should come more moist, but had mouth-watering hints of lemon and other Indian spices.

And food isn’t the only thing Cosmic Café offers. Patrons can also get their “om” on.They hold yoga classes, poetry readings and meditations in the upstairs portion of the building. But before you go up, you must remove your shoes, as the sign at the base of the stairwell says.

Dallasites who believe meat and dairy are the only meal options, should head to Cosmic Café to see what veganism is all about. Not only are their tons of options, but they’re tasty and filling.

And if you know what your mother told you when you were little: until you try it, you won’t know if you like it.