‘Megamind 3D’ packs in fun

Listen up, animation lovers. If you are looking for some good laughs and an hour and a half of three-dimensional fun, “Megamind 3D” is the film for you.

With the delightfully amusing voices of Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Brad Pitt, to name a few, this movie is “The Incredibles” meets  “Despicable Me” with enough new material to keep you entertained.

The plot, however, is less than original—two superhuman babies find themselves on earth, the attractive one chooses good, the ugly one evil.

And of course, the movie would not be complete without the love interest provided by the Lois-gutsy journalist Roxanne Ritche.

Even though this is a cliche, it serves the movie well, as Roxanne has a lot more attitude than the helpless Lois Lane.

When Metro Man dies (or does he?), Megamind is left without anyone to challenge him.

As any good villain would, he chooses an ordinary human and gives him superpowers.

This new “hero” Tighten soon chooses to use his powers for evil, and Megamind finds himself displaced, once again. Tighten is voiced by Jonah Hill.

Along the way, Megamind falls in love with Roxanne while disguised as the adorable librarian Bernard.

The story is, in many ways, about finding your way and learning to accept who you are—a message prevalent no matter how old you are.

What is especially enjoyable about this movie is the 3D. This increasingly popular convention in filmmaking is often headache-inducing and has objects popping out of the screen for no recognizable purpose.

It seems that the technology is finally advanced enough to be used skillfully, rather than frivolously.  

There are just enough tricks that you are aware you’re watching 3D without having effects for the sake of effects.

Overall this film is all kinds of enjoyable, and Ferrell lends his hilarious and surprisingly charming voice to Megamind, encouraging  the audience, like Roxie, to fall for a super villain with an oversized blue head.

Whether or not you are an avid animation fan, “Megamind 3D” is a whole lot of fun.