Saturday game day

Can a home advantage help the Mustangs win?

The wait is almost over. New SMU head football coach June Jones is finally making his home debut Saturday when the Mustangs face Texas State.

After all the ad campaigns and media hype, SMU fans finally get to see if the hype was really worth it.

There was a lot of optimism last week before the Rice game, and it showed at the party in front of Dallas Hall. Fans came with face paint and school colors on, and the same should be expected Saturday.

We know everyone was a little disappointed with how last week’s game turned out, but this game could be the most winnable of the season, which is perfect for a home opener. Last year, SMU got rocked by Texas Tech and came back to beat North Texas. Well, Texas State could be this year’s North Texas.

The party will get started on the Boulevard – and yes, the Boulevard is always a big event – and it should continue well into the contest. If nothing else, just visit the Boulevard to see friends, eat free food and listen to music.

Wear school colors and go to the game if at all possible. The team has spent months preparing for its first home game, and fans should come out and enjoy the festive atmosphere. They may be able to tell future generations that they were at the first home game June Jones ever coached at SMU.

The sound of the Mustangs band finally will fill Gerald J. Ford Stadium again, and SMU fans hope the touchdown celebrations will be frequent.

Jones’ “run and shoot” offense piled up lots of yards last weekend, and the Mustangs once again will be out of the garage this weekend.

Here are some of the positives from last weekend’s game that will make fans very happy if they continue this weekend. The Mustangs got off to a quick 13-0 start last weekend; if they do it again Saturday, don’t expect a Texas State comeback.

True freshman quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell played excellent last weekend and likely won’t be overshadowed by the opposing team’s quarterback this week. Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders may be celebrating more touchdowns Saturday after catching eight passes for 121 yards and a touchdown last week.

It’s a new year, and fans can realistically expect a few more wins this season. The key is to approach the season with optimism, and boost players by filling the stadium and cheering loud and proud. So go out and cheer the Mustangs!