Offense clicks to give Mustangs first win of the season

Lindsey Perkins

(Lindsey Perkins)

The Mustangs were able to pick up their first win of the season Saturday night thanks to five passing touchdowns and five forced turnovers against Texas State.

Quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell threw for 370 yards and five touchdowns, completing 24 of 37 pass attempts. Receiving most of those passes were Emmanuel Sanders and Aldrick Robinson.

Each caught eight passes, Sanders for 138 yards and three touchdowns, Robinson for 172 yards and two touchdowns, a career high.

“Middle of the week I knew Al and Emmanuel were starting to [get the offense],” head coach June Jones said.

Sanders, a junior, and Robinson, a sophomore, have a chance to put up big numbers in a June Jones offense.

“It’s only going to get better,” Sanders said. “With every game we’re going to get better and better, and it’s going to be pretty scary when we all start clicking.”

In only the second game, the offense looked more comfortable than a week ago against Rice with Jones and Mitchell leading.

“We have plenty of things to improve on from this game also,” Mitchell said. “There were a lot of missed passes, missed assignments and stuff like that. I’ve got to put the ball on the money, and we [could have had] instead of 370 yards, we [could have] got 500 yards and a couple more touchdowns.”

With his three touchdown receptions Sanders tied Jerry LeVias for second all time at SMU with 22 career receiving touchdowns.

“I think [Sanders and Robinson] have as much talent as anybody I’ve had anywhere,” Jones said. “I told Aldrick Robinson in the spring that I thought he had the chance to be the best outside guy I’ve ever had.”

Robinson’s 172 receiving yards is fourth highest ever in a game and set a sophomore receiving record.

“Today the receivers came out and ran their routes hard, and the line held up,” Mitchell said. “The receivers went out, got the ball and made plays.”