Women’s soccer captures first win of season on Friday, falls Sunday

SMU freshman midfielder Devon Herrman fights for the ball in 0-1 loss to nationally ranked Kansas.
Stuart Palley

SMU freshman midfielder Devon Herrman fights for the ball in 0-1 loss to nationally ranked Kansas. (Stuart Palley)

The SMU women’s soccer team captured their first regular season win in a 5-1 victory over Prairie View A&M Friday night at Westcott field.

Senior forward Caitlin Carter recorded her first career hat trick in the first 45 minutes of play during her first game of season after coming off a mid-summer injury.

“It’s good to have her back,” said head coach Brent Erwin about Carter’s performance. “She was the beneficiary. She gives us a lift because she’s such an experienced player.”

Carter got her first goal of the season in the 13th minute off a steal from Prairie View A&M, giving her an open net from 15 yards away. The second goal for the Mustangs came about halfway through the first half when Carter had another unassisted shot from about 18 yards away.

Carter’s hat trick was complete just under one minute later when she collected a rebounded goal from teammate Dylan Jordan and knocked the ball into the net from approximately eight yards away.

“I was actually really excited [about getting back into the game],” said Carter. “It’s been building up for almost eight weeks. I hurt my hamstring in the middle of July so I’ve been slowly getting back, trying to get my fitness up. I knew needed to come out and make my mark.”

SMU started five freshmen against the Rebels, including goalkeeper Courtney Webb. Veteran goalkeeper and senior Ashley Gunter remained on the bench. The Mustang’s defense prevented Webb from touching the ball no more than three times, giving the newbie no goals in the entire 90 minutes of play. Webb’s only chance for a save came with Prairie View A&M’s one shot in the second half.

Prairie View’s goalie had eight saves in the first half, and four in the second as she attempted to deflect the Mustangs’ combined total of 35 shots to the Rebels’ one.

In the second half, freshman Mary Connally opened up for the Mustangs just 24 seconds in after collecting a rebounded ball off the post, putting the Mustangs up 4-0.

Between both halves, 15 of the 17 freshmen saw playing time, with many of them seeing their first minutes in their maiden college career game.

“I thought the freshmen were good at first,” said Erwin. “I think the biggest issue was they hadn’t played a match yet, and they got tired. We just decided to let each group get a half. In the first 15 minutes of the second half we were outstanding. I think they just got tired, and there were probably a little bit of nerves involved.”

The Rebels scored their lone goal of the game with about 15 minutes left off a free kick in front of the net from 21 yards.

The Mustangs closed out the game with a final goal by sophomore Laura Landry within the seven final minutes of play.

“I thought [Prairie View A&M] played their heart out; they never stopped playing hard,” said Erwin.

Sunday afternoon’s game against No. 25 Kansas produced different results for the Mustangs, as they dropped their second game of the season.

The Mustangs managed to hold the Jayhawks to only one point, but could not avoid the shutout, as senior Carly Phillips had the chance to tie the game in the second half with a free kick. Sending the shot just wide left of the net, the Mustangs lost to their second nationally ranked opponent of the season.

Gunter returned to the net for SMU in Sunday’s game, recording five saves overall. Kansas goalkeeper Julie Hanley had four.

The Jayhawks single goal came in he first half when Kortney Clifton caught a cross pass from a teammate in the 26th minute to give Kansas the only goal they would need for the win.

SMU’s Phillips had two shots on goal, while junior Kim Peabody recorded three shots and one shot on goal.

“I thought we controlled the game,” said Erwin. “We made a mistake in the first half, and they scored a good goal, but overall, I thought we controlled the game. We created a lot of chances, and as we mature, we’ll start putting those away.”

SMU currently stands at 1-2-1 heading into their first away series of the season this weekend against NCAA semi-finalist Notre Dame on Friday night followed by Ball State on Sunday.