Volleyball wins home opener

SMUs libero Sidney Stewart passes the ball in a 3-0 win over University of Texas at Arlington last night in Moody Coliseum. Stewart had 11 digs in the match.
Lindsey Perkins
SMU’s libero Sidney Stewart passes the ball in a 3-0 win over University of Texas at Arlington last night in Moody Coliseum. Stewart had 11 digs in the match.

SMU’s libero Sidney Stewart passes the ball in a 3-0 win over University of Texas at Arlington last night in Moody Coliseum. Stewart had 11 digs in the match. (Lindsey Perkins)

The SMU volleyball team used a key first-set surge to propel itself past Texas-Arlington in straight sets Wednesday at Moody Coliseum.

With the first set tied 18-18, senior Natalie Peters stepped up to serve and led the Mustangs on a 7-0 run to end the set. Freshman Dana Powell successfully executed a spike that split two Mavericks defenders and gave the Mustangs the set-deciding point.

The pesky Mavericks hung around in the second and third sets, but SMU (3-1) had too much power and finished with a 25-18, 25-21, 25-22 victory in its home opener.

“I told myself last night before I went to bed that I’m not going to have a first game of the season again in my career,” said Peters. “Having that mentality really helped me and the team.”

The Mustangs had 50 kills, while the Mavericks managed only 33. SMU head coach Lisa Seifert said her team was able to hold serve and put the Mavericks “out of system,” which allowed the Mustangs to focus on stopping just a couple opposing players.

“When we’re in system, our setters distribute the ball evenly to our attackers,” said Seifert. “Just two kids [for Texas-Arlington] were getting the ball, so we were able to shut them down.”

The Mavericks (2-2) were not able to concentrate on stopping Peters, who led the Mustangs with seven kills in the second set. She had three service aces and a block.

Freshman Dana Powell continued her phenomenal early season play by leading the Mustangs with 12 kills and 16 digs. She was named to the All-Tournament team at the Baylor Invitational last weekend and is second on the team in kills and digs.

The sensational play of Powell and three other freshmen has been the story of the year for the Mustangs, and that did not change Wednesday. Jessica Oliver had nine kills, Kelli Bercerra led the team with 24 kills, and libero Sidney Stewart was second on the team with 11 digs.

“I’m so stoked about [the freshmen], I can’t even tell you,” said Seifert. “It’s so fun right now and they’re only going to get so much better. The chemistry is as good, if not better, than any team I’ve had since I’ve been here.”

The Mustangs host the four-team SMU Radisson Invitational this weekend at Moody Colliseum. They face Montana and New Orleans on Friday and Stephen F. Austin on Saturday. Since the team will be out of town during Family Weekend, Seifert said players will have family in town this weekend.