Voices of Congo portrays war issues

SMU’s Students Promoting Awareness, Responsibility and Citizenship (SPARC)  welcomed the president of Voices of the Congo to Hughes-Trigg Theater Monday night to present a documentary about the plight of women in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The DRC has been plagued by war since 1998. Nearly six million Congolese have died at the hands of soldiers from both foreign militias and the Congolese army.

Yollande Kayembe, president of Voices of the Congo, and Congolese native, founded the non-profit organization in 2008 alongside Dominique Diomi with the mission to “raise awareness about the ‘silent’ war in the Congo.”

The HBO documentary, “The Greatest Silence: The Rape of the Congo” examines the lives of women living in the eastern portion of the DRC who have been traumatized by the rape and torture inflicted upon them by militia.

The film pays tribute to women who have survived sexual violence, specifically those suffering from fistula, that have sought medical and psychological help from Heal Africa.

“The documentary shocked me,” said audience member, Ariane Topake, who said she has always been invested in Africa and community service. “The small things we complain about are nothing compared to the horrors these women experience.”

Following the viewing, Kayembe opened the floor for questions and shared her own personal experiences of escaping the DRC in1994, after her brother was brutally murdered.

“Silence empowers evil,” Kayembe said. “The more people know about what’s going on in the Congo, the more can be done.”

Voices of the Congo works to break the silence, by raising awareness through movie screenings, forums, marches and letters to Congress.

SPARC program coordinator, Katie Schoen, said she felt that it was important to bring Kayembe to SMU to help promote awareness about the events occurring in the DRC.

“I’ve always had a passion for the Congo, and I am very pleased with the outcome of tonight’s event,” Schoen said.

Schoen also mentioned that she, along with SPARC, hopes to continue to promote Voices of the Congo.

For more information about Voices of the Congo visit: www.votcongo.org.