Bush shakes hands, signs his memoir for thousands

TAYLOR ADAMS/ The Daily Campus
Former President George W. Bush signs copies of his memoir, “Decision Points,” Tuesday at Borders Bookstore in the Preston Oaks Shopping Center.

Former President George W. Bush signs copies of his memoir, “Decision Points,” Tuesday at Borders Bookstore in the Preston Oaks Shopping Center. (TAYLOR ADAMS/ The Daily Campus)

Fans and protesters alike lined up early, some camping out in sleeping bags, to get a signed copy of George W. Bush’s new memoir, “Decision Points,” and for a chance to meet to the author.

“It’s not every day you get to see an ex-President,” said Brian Crawley, 44, who arrived at the bookstore at 3 p.m. on Monday.

Brian wasn’t alone; an estimated 4,000 people lined up for a chance to see the former president.

The sidewalk in front of Borders was littered with sleeping bags and lawn chairs. Fans anxiously awaiting Bush’s arrival pressed their faces against the windows.

Only a few protesters gathered outside the store. Many carried signs that read “torture is illegal” and “no one is above the law,” in an effort to protest the Bush administration’s use of water-boarding.

The crowd was quickly led away from the entrance and was met with  boo’s and calls to “go home” by a crowd that was overwhelmingly filled with Bush supporters.

Bush’s memoir gives behind-the-scenes details into the successes and failures of his presidency.

The book recounts his emotions when it was discovered there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. “No one was more shocked or angry than I was when we didn’t find the weapons. I had a sickening feeling every time I thought about it. I still do,” Bush wrote.

News of his non-traditional memoir has been filling headlines for the past several weeks, and supporters outside of the bookstore had certainly caught onto the frenzy.

Tamera Ranney, 31, who arrived at 2 a.m. said, “It was amazing—my heart was beating like crazy.”