Big band blow out

Friday night will be full of musical numbers, comedy, singingand dancing at SMU’s Pigskin Revue, a variety show put on bythe Mustang Band that has been a homecoming tradition since1933.

The Mustang Band, founded in 1917, was named the “BestCollege Marching Band” in Texas in Kirk Dooley’s Bookof Texas Bests. The band, widely known as the hub of SMUspirit,” is what keeps band alum and current announcerCharles Campbell on campus years after he graduated.

This year, the event starts with a reception in the Umphrey LeeBallroom at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner at 7 p.m. Music andentertainment begin at 8:15 p.m.

The Revue is an event open to the public that gives the band achance to perform in a “different venue and setting fromsports games,” according to Campbell.

That style of music is mostly jazz. The band plays oldstandards, and in-house arrange and Assistant Band Director TommyTucker brands newer, more familiar tunes, with that traditionalswing-style for which the band has become known.

First-year Pigskin performer Travis Thompson emphasized theband’s style, saying, “Even when we are on the field,our music has a jazz feel to it.”

The tradition has been carried on in different forms. The Revuestarted as a show that fraternities, sororities, students andalumni participated in. “The event used to be the schooltalent show,” said Tucker.

Celebrities came from all over the world, including Bob Hope andJerry Jeff Walker,.

This Friday’s event includes all of the Mustang Band,comedy sketches written by band members, as well as vocalists andparticipants from the SMU Dance Team.

Thompson is the son of a band alum who also participated in thePigskin Revue tradition. For him, playing in the Revue isn’tjust about being a part of a school tradition. He “grew upcoming to these.”

And the importance of the tradition is apparent for all membersof the band.

For Laura Tatsch, the significance lies in the unity that comesfrom hosting the Revue, year after year. There’s “a lotthat’s exactly the same,” she said.

Mustang Band member Karina Garrett said it’s”interesting to play for all of the alums and to see theirpositive reactions.”

Named from football, “the Pigskin Revue is the longestrunning homecoming tradition I know of at SMU,” saidCampbell, who dedicates much of his time the Mustang Band afterbeing a member while pursuing both undergraduate and graduatedegrees at SMU. He admits to having “only missed one yearsince 1980.”

Campbell describes his experience with the band as the place”where dedication to SMU comes from.” He and about 30other active alums of the band play up and down The Boulevardduring tailgating, as well as performing “Pony BattleCry” during home games.

Tickets for dinner and the show are $30 per person and $25 witha student ID. Tickets for only the show are $10.