Old Monk: not just a bar

The Knox-Henderson area claims many diverse restaurants, none of which compete with The Old Monk’s laid back and distinctly euro-style of dining. Located at 2847 North Henderson Ave., this pub was the first to the scene, opening its doors in 1998.

Celebrating its 10-year anniversary in March of this year, The Old Monk continues to draw new guests and welcomes the regulars. Despite the acceptance of smoking indoors and out, the casual environment and hearty food prove to be worth the trip.

As patrons arrive, parking can sometimes be an issue, especially after 5 p.m. The entrance and the exit are both on the Henderson side of the site. Valet is not available and not needed due to the parking’s close proximity to the restaurant. The sharp slant of the pavement and the cramped parking spaces can hinder the handicap and large cars.

The building is directly in front of the lot and boasts a cool green and beige color scheme. A graphic of the ‘Old Monk’ is painted on the sides and front of the structure. Two distinct outdoor seating areas are available, one of which is covered while the other is not. The minor wear-and-tear on the façade gives the restaurant an unexplainable appeal and permanence despite being among the many newer buildings.

Once inside, self-seating and dim lights immediately set the mood for a very casual and informal environment. True to its pub nature, smoking is allowed in all dining areas. The tables and chairs are made of a dark rich wood topped with a candle and handful of menus.

The textured tan walls are adorned with accents of heavily stained wood molding around the doors and windows. The earth tones extend to the floor and ceiling as well. Unique artworks grace the walls, consisting of a variety of aged beer and liquor signs.

Owner Feargal McKinney opened the bar nearly a decade ago. The success of The Old Monk has inspired the owner to open more pubs in the same style. The restaurant’s original Euro-American style gives Dallas a slightly gothic and almost medieval feel, unmatched by any other establishment.

According to General Manager Carsen Jacobsen, the beer selection is the number one draw while the food is a close second. He expressed his pride in the work staff with good cause- guests are treated properly by the waiting-staff who manages to juggle personality and duty with ease.

Not only does The Old Monk provide an amazing atmosphere, the affordable food does not disappoint. The filling Monk Burger accentuates its uniquely Irish flavor. The Basil Burger also proves delicious, although the basil was undetectable. For a lighter option, the Smoked Salmon Sandwich is fresh and satisfying while the Belgian Style Steamed Mussels is true to its title. To complete the meal, the one and only dessert offered is a must. The Bread Pudding leaves the right taste in your mouth and will surely keep you wanting more. The Old Monk is almost a requirement for any SMU student who thoroughly wants to experience the best Dallas has to offer.