Student argues against racially insensitive parties

Senior John Nwisienyi spoke to Student Senate during their Tuesday meeting, pushing that SMU ban all racially insensitive parties.

Nwisienyi argued that parties such as Lambda Chi Alpha and Sigma Phi Epsilon’s “Thug Life” party encourage negative racial stereotypes.

“I’m not coming to you today because I’m mad; I’m disappointed,” he said.

Nwisienyi, who is black, says he first experienced the type of racial insensitivity while in high school at Jesuit College Preparatory School of Dallas.

He also cited Highland Park High School’s “Thug Day,” and Pi Kappa Alpha’s “White Trash Bash.”

Nwisienyi said these types of parties are due to ignorance. He said the best way to deal with ignorance is with education.

Student Body President Jake Torres asked Nwisienyi whether he thought the parties are intended to mock people. Nwisienyi said he doesn’t think they are meant to do so, but that people sometimes are not aware of how insensitive certain aspects of these parties can be.

Meadows senator Shana Ray asked where Nwisienyi would draw the line in his ban. He said he wouldn’t ban parties from organizations attempting to provide education about their cultures, such as the Indian Students Association’s Diwali party.

He said the line would be drawn at parties that don’t highlight a culture, but rather mock or demean it.