Senators discuss SMU post Task Force

Student Senate members listen to an officer report at a meeting in the Hughes-Trigg Ballroom Tuesday afternoon.
Stuart Palley

Student Senate members listen to an officer report at a meeting in the Hughes-Trigg Ballroom Tuesday afternoon. (Stuart Palley)

SMU PD reported a decrease in the number of alcohol and drug offenses referred to the Judicial Officer for August 2008 compared to August 2007.

Thirty students were referred to the Judicial Officer during August 2008, compared to 107 in 2007. Of the 30, SMU PD referred 28 students for consumption of alcohol by a minor and two for possession of alcohol by a minor.

There was an increase in the number of University Park citations issued, from 17 in 2007 to 25 in 2008, but he number of students booked into Highland Park Jail decreased, from 10 in 2007 to two in 2008. The number of students booked into Dallas County Jail decreased as well, from one in 2007 to zero in 2008.

Hospitalizations for the month of August remained the same at three. The number of Justice of the Peace citations rose from zero in 2007 to one in 2008.

Student Body Vice President Patrick Kobler discussed the report during the Student Senate meeting Tuesday in the Hughes-Trigg ballroom as part of his report on a recent Crew meeting. The meetings are held each week and feature heads of several organizations such as Residence Life and Student Housing, SMU PD, and Student Senate.

Kobler said he thinks the report is a reflection of interactions between SMU PD and students, which shows more cooperation with police. This, he said, makes officers “more peace than police.” Kobler said the overall student body should be commended for the decrease, saying this “shows progress.”

Student Body President Rob Hayden discussed the Memorial Health Center’s plans on improvement. He said the University is looking at several different options. Hayden also discussed confusion over the Health Center’s hours, saying that although the hours have not been extended yet, he hopes that soon the doors will be open later at night for students in need. He said the University had been informed of the confusion.

In additon to the Health Center, Hayden discussed his “goal for this month.” He wants Student Senate to formulate an informal research committee to discuss the possibility of requiring sophomores to live on campus. His goal is to have a report for the Board of Trustees to review, as he believes the Board will be considering this during the upcoming year.

Jennifer “JJ” Jones, Assistant Dean of Student Life and Director of Student Activities and Multicultural Student Affairs, informed senators of an upcoming Greek life assessment. The report will be sent to SMU President R. Gerald Turner for review, who will appoint six people from across the country to make up the assessment team. Jones said a total of 30 interviews will be conducted.

Membership Committee Chair Peter Goldschmidt recommended four students for open positions. Goldschmidt advocated Abby Hoak for the Scholarship Chair, Mia Krueger as an Engineering Senator, Robert Hay for Vice Chair for Scholarship Distribution and Eric Park for Cox Senator.