Mustangs win Homecoming

Johnson crowned queen
 Call me maestro
Call me maestro

Mustangs win Homecoming

The Mustang football players weren’t the only studentsthat were winners this weekend.

A crowd of near 13,000 at Gerald J. Ford Stadium saw Kappa KappaGamma representative Farrar Johnson and Lambda Chi Alpharepresentative Art Bell crowned as Homecoming Queen and King duringhalftime of Saturday’s game against Tulsa. Johnson, a seniorjournalism major, received the crown from alumnus Britt Moen, whowas also a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Johnson became the fourthmember of the sorority to be crowned queen in the past fiveyears.

“I think that all the candidates were greatrepresentatives for their respective organizations,” KappaSigma representative Brandon Blewett said. “I definitelythink that Farrar is an admirable member of the SMU community, andI’m very happy for her.”

Saturday’s crowning of king and queen came after aweek’s worth of preparation by all the participatingorganizations, which included float building, community service anda blood drive. Organizations earned spirit points for theirrepresentatives based on their participation in the events. StudentFoundation, the group that annually sponsors Homecoming week,titled this year’s Homecoming “Destination Dallas’04.” Organizations took this theme and incorporated itinto their floats.

The combined team of Kappa Alpha Theta and Phi Delta Theta tookfirst place in the float building competition with their floatthemed “Deep in the Heart of Dallas”, followed by SigmaPhi Epsilon and Alpha Chi Omega’s “Texas Billionaire,‘Better than Gold’,” and Lambda Chi Alpha andDelta Gamma’s “Plow ‘em Down”, a floatmodeled after a John Deere tractor, complete with green and yellowpomp paper. Because of the remodeling efforts to the Dedman Centerfor Lifetime Sports, float building was moved to Mrs. Baird’sfactory, across Mockingbird Lane.