Roti Grill: Indian food at its best

McKinney Avenue is home to numerous restaurants which constantly fight for the business of Dallas residents.

Despite the ample competition in the area, Roti Grill stands out. Not only is it one of few Indian restaurants in the vicinity of SMU, but their food easily exceeds the quality of others nearby.

Roti Grill, situated at 4438 McKinney Avenue, recently celebrated its success with their three year anniversary. The owner and staff’s attention to detail insures that the restaurant will be serving top notch Indian cuisine for years to come.

The restaurant is a bit off the main drag of the busy Knox-Henderson. Parking is well provided for at Roti Grill in a spacious lot behind the structure, ignoring the Dallas standard of valet only. The building sports cool beiges and accents of green. The exterior emits a sense of confident simplicity. Landscaping consists of a few oak trees and shrubs.

Although the restaurant is aesthetically pleasing, their logo can easily be missed. I passed it myself the first go-around. The one way streets also make it a bit difficult to reach unless you are familiar with the area already. At arrival, guests can choose one of two entrances located at the back near the parking lot or the front which faces McKinney.

The interior is a combination of the same simplistic themes from the façade and traditionalism. The concrete floors shine, providing a warm and clean base. Black chairs, lightly stained wood tables, and taupe booths occupy the main dining space. Interesting tile textures and wall murals give Roti Grill a unique and inviting feel. The food set up is similar to the set up of Pei Wei. After the guests order and are seated, the food is brought to the table. This style of service is a good way of providing patrons with privacy and service with no tip necessary.

Owner Pardeep Sharma, a native born Indian, is the restaurant’s biggest cheerleader. He expressed his love of food and spices which surely led to the opening of three restaurants, all serving Northern Indian Cuisine. He has been in the business for 23 years and swears that his food is not only delicious, but extremely healthy too. The restaurant cooks and prepares everything from scratch, including the cheeses and yogurts. Roti Grill offers take out, dine in, catering, and rentals of the space are optional upon request.

The hype is well deserved. Roti Grill has some of the most unique and delectable meals available. The Vegetable Samosa is a great way to prepare your taste buds for Indian cuisine. The Tomato Herb soup is a must due to its rich flavor that warms your body without making you sweat. I also recommend the Two Step Combo with your choice of meat. The Lamb with Masala sauce is a good choice. For a spicy option, the Combo Tandoori Chicken shows the Indian Barbeque style of cooking. To complete the traditional meal, the Kheer Rice Pudding cools the mouth and satisfies the stomach.

Roti Grill is appropriate for almost any occasion. Exclusive alcoholic beverages and food that defies the ordinary are all available. Anyone who is looking for something new and worthwhile should check out Roti Grill. I will certainly return, and I hope to see you there.