No luck for women’s soccer versus Irish

The SMU women’s soccer team dropped both games in the team’s first road series of the season.

Friday night’s loss to Notre Dame resulted in a 0-5 shutout, as the Irish marched right past the Mustangs, putting them at a perfect 6-0-0 so far. The Irish continue to occupy the No.2 spot in the current National Soccer Coaches of America polls after finishing the 2007 season as runner-up in the NCAA women’s tournament.

The weekend’s first loss was the third shutout by a nationally ranked team for the Mustangs, after losing to Oklahoma State and Ole Miss in the opening weeks at Westcott Field.

SMU was led by the freshmen pair Logan May and Sarah Catherine Ryan, who each had one shot on goal in the 90 minutes on play. Notre Dame got the only point they would need for the win in the 20th minute when Courtney Rosen knocked in a rebounded shot from teammate Melissa Henderson, sending the ball past Gunter from six yards back.

May finished out the game with four shots total, two of which were counted as shots on goal. The Irish out shot the Mustangs 41-4.

Goal number two came in the 40th minute when Molly Campbell knocked a shot in through traffic from 12 yards away.

Goals three, four and five all came in the second half, putting the game out of reach for the Mustangs.

The Irish put up two saves in the entire game, both of which occurred in the second half.

Mustang goalkeeper Ashley Gunter recorded five saves in the opening 45 minutes, and three in the second half to deny Notre Dame any more goals.

Game two for the Mustangs provided a similar fate, as SMU faced a fourth shutout to Ball State, putting their overall record at 1-4-1.

Again, the freshmen led the team with Devon Herrman, Mary Connally and Kaitlyn Eidson all contributing two shots for the team. Both Lauren Shepherd and Katie Leonard also recorded one shot on goal.

Ball State got the game-winning goal in the 35th minute when Olivia Ramirez connected on a pass from teammate Emily Rein.

Sarah Schumacker secured the win for Ball State in the 54th minute off a rebound from her initial shot.

Gunter had another strong performance for the Mustangs, posting seven saves overall, five in the second half, and two in the first.

The Mustangs will continue to play away from home as they travel to California this weekend to play No. 1 and NCAA reigning champion USC followed by Cal State Fullerton on Sunday.

Conference USA play will begin on Sept. 26 when SMU hosts Colorado College at 7 p.m..