DADA walk to be held tomorrow

This time last year, Liliana Bloch was anticipating the Dallas Art Dealer’s Association’s (DADA) semi-annual Gallery Walk as a participant and avid lover of the arts. Now, as the Director Pro Tem of The McKinney Avenue Contemporary she will look at the Gallery Walk from the other side. Instead of meandering through galleries as a visitor, she will open the doors of her gallery space hoping to maintain the spark that is the Dallas art scene.

“The walk is about educating the public,” said Bloch. “It’s about ignoring the fear of asking questions and being in a new space.”

This year, the DADA Gallery Walk will happen on Sept. 13 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Various galleries throughout the Dallas area will open their doors to art lovers and gallery explorers for a day of socializing, discussing and art of all kinds.

The McKinney Avenue Contemporary and MADI Art will even be hosting performances by the Dallas Opera from 2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. According to Bloch, adding live opera to the background of the array of visual arts is a way for the public to become aware of various art forms and their beauty.

Participating galleries can be found in Uptown, Downtown, the Dragon St. design district and Deep Ellum as well as in Fair Park, East Dallas, Oak Cliff, Park Cities, Irving and Arlington. The event is free to the public and participants will be provided with a map and brochure with descriptions and addresses of all galleries involved.

Proceeds collected at these galleries will support the Edith Baker Art Scholarship, benefiting an outstanding graduating senior from Booker T. Washington High School for Performing and Visual Arts.

DADA has long been at the pulse of the Dallas art scene. The association includes independent gallery owners and not-for-profit organizations interested in contributing to artists, students, museums, collectors and the Dallas community.