New addition at SMU; Webb comes to SMU as Dean of Student Life

Lisa Webb has spent her entire career in higher education administration. She’s worked in several different sections at several different colleges and universities.

The best part of her many jobs, she says, has been her relationship with students. Webb still keeps in touch with many of them.

The announcement of her hiring was sent by email on August 1.

“Dr. Webb brings a wealth of experiences working in student and academic affairs, and with both undergraduate and graduate students, at a variety of institutions,” Vice President for Student Affairs Lori S. White said in the email. “Her broad knowledge of the issues impacting student success in higher education will be an asset to the Division of Student Affairs and the university as a whole.”

Webb says she hopes that her position will be a partnership with students and parents.

As the new Associate Vice President and Dean of Student Life, Webb will oversee the Parent and Family Programs, Student Conduct and Community Standards and Services for Students with Disabilities.

According to the announcement, Webb “will also have primary responsibility for crisis management involving students, providing support for students and parents/families and for responding to those issues that impact student well-being and that of the overall campus community.”

A part of that involves the new Good Samaritan and medical amnesty programs. Webb will meet with students who want to be considered for amnesty as part of her job as supervisor of the conduct process.

This part of her job isn’t new; Webb served as a Residence Dean and Conduct Officer at Stanford University. She says the conduct process “wasn’t about students coming in and having a negative experience,” noting that everyone makes mistakes.

Instead, the process serves to uphold a “set of community standards” and make sure that “we respect one another.” Webb says people should be held responsible for their actions, but she emphasizes an educational rather than punitive response because students learn more.

Webb feels she can make a difference through her work as Dean of Student Life and, that the staff at SMU is committed to student success.

Webb says she’s found this type of work rewarding because “it’s an opportunity to build very strong relationships.”