The ultimate driving distraction

Texting rivals shaving, doing make up and reading while driving

With all the reckless motorists on the streets these days, driving is dangerous enough as it is. However, added distractions such as cell phones make driving around campus about as safe as taking a bath with a toaster.

That’s why we’re glad many cities in the area, including both Highland and University Park, have outlawed the use of cell phones in school zones. What strikes us as a little odd, however, is the actual signs that inform motorists of the fairly new law. The signs specifically single out texting, listing it as being prohibited during school zone hours.

The idea of texting while driving is just as idiotic as putting on makeup, shaving or reading the newspaper. When you’re texting, you’re not even looking at the road. How much more distracted can you be?

Last week a train wreck near Los Angeles killed 25 people and injured 130. Do you know what investigators believe to be the cause of the terrible crash? Yep, you guessed it – text messaging. It is believed an engineer on the train was so busy text messaging that he ignored indicators signaling that another train was headed straight for him. This guy wasn’t even the one driving.

It should be common sense not to text while you drive. Really, you shouldn’t even be using a phone at all. And no, using a hands-free device like a Bluetooth headset doesn’t make it any better. While talking on the phone, the driver is distracted, regardless if they have two hands on the wheel or not.

As of now, it’s only illegal to use cell phones in school zones. Luckily for those close to campus, there’s about a million school zones bordering SMU. But when the lights aren’t flashing, why is it perfectly fine to use a cell phone? Yes, there aren’t any school children walking home to end up as flattened pancakes, but who’s to say there aren’t other pedestrians?

Last year a woman was severely injured when a motorist was driving too fast to get through all the construction detours around Mockingbird Avenue. After the incident, local police tracked the activity of motorists on their way to work in the morning. An astonishing amount of drivers were doing something other than the only thing they’re supposed to be doing in a car – driving.

When it comes to driving around campus, please remember that a text message or e-mail message can wait a few minutes. It might save you a ticket, or even someone else’s life.