Philly newcomers kill at Gypsy Tea

Philly newcomers kill at Gypsy Tea
Philly newcomers kill at Gypsy Tea

Philly newcomers kill at Gypsy Tea

This is Trouble Everyday’s first date on their first U.S.tour — if you consider the 4 date jaunt a tour, that is— and you can tell the excitement is mounting as JesseDillon, [bass], peers trough the window looking out on the stage,watching the Gypsy Team Room fill with young fans coming to watchThe Killers. Opening for a band as popular as The Killers, who aretoday at the height of their popularity it seems, has go tot behard, and fans don’t usually welcome unknown bands very well.Nonetheless, the guys in Trouble Everyday seem ready, almostrelaxed in anticipation of their first Texas performance.

Surprising, taking in account the fact that they just found outabout the tour with The Killers a week ago, and have only beenplaying with this current lineup for 3 weeks.

“Everything’s just kinda molded into this lineup,there’s not going to be another lineup, this is it, this iswhat we’re set on,” lead singer Kyle Costill said.Dillon ads, “it’s kind of funny, we’ve had moreshows than rehearsals so far.”

You could never tell, and as they took the stage, the foursomeseemed confident, put together and ready. It only took a few songsfor the crowd, still filing in slowly from the long line that woundseveral people deep around the venue, to catch on to the energeticperformance and slowly, shy heads started bopping and feet startedmoving.

Trouble Everyday’s set traveled from dancy pop tunesreminiscent of The Moving Units, to more intense rock, withCostill’s voice powerfully taking over. The rift between thestyles was sometimes astounding, and I wondered several timesexactly where this was going. However, the band’s membersmake it clear that they are not set on riding out any current trendwith sticking to one genre. “We never say ‘we’regonna write a dance hit’, it comes more naturally. I thinkafter the show, people will see its genuine, we’re not tryingto jump on some wave, because every wave’s gonna crash, thisis just what we love to do,” said Costill.

Although a little musically bipolar at times, TroubleEveryday’s set pleased the crowd enough to send handfuls ofnewly-made fans back to the band’s merchandise booth forautographs and photos.

The buzz might not be enormous for these guys yet but it surelywont be long. The whisper in the industry is growing by the minuteand with this tour they are bound to establish themselves evenfurther. Besides, they’re already receiving praises from someof the industry’s most respected artists and toured the U.K.twice with a tremendously positive response. “We played ashow with the Buzzcocks once, and Pete Shelley (guitarist andsinger) came up to me and said ‘you reminded me of us on topof the pop in the ’70s, to me, we could not have received abetter compliment,” recounted Costill.

Expect to hear a lot more from Trouble Everyday, becausethey’re ready to deliver. “With our management behindus, we feel like we can conquer the world, and that’s what wewanna do.”

For more information visit www.troubleveryday.com.