Community Service Day kicks off homecoming

Community Service Day, a campus-wide volunteer event, will kickoff this year’s Homecoming on Saturday, October 30. The eventgives students an opportunity to volunteer at a non–profitagency in Dallas.

This will be the second year Community Service Day will be apart of Homecoming as a way for organizations to earn SpiritPoints. The Spirit Points on Community Service Day are worth twiceas much as other Homecoming events. Community Service Day initiallystarted at SMU in the 1960s when students and faculty membersexpressed interest to help improve the Dallas area.

“Not only is it a great way to reach out in the community,but it’s also a great way to get to know other people at SMUand show SMU spirit during Homecoming,” said Sarah Carpi,Community Service Day chair.

All students and student organizations are encouraged toregister for the event atwww.smu.edu/lci/CSD/CSD04register.asp.

The registration deadline is Tuesday, October 26.

Typically, groups of five to 25 people are needed for eachproject. Groups larger than 50, must register as multiple groups.Each group must select a group leader/contact person who is incharge of making sure that the number of students on theregistration form is the same number in attendance. The groupleader will receive information about the assigned agency, and isresponsible for the student organization/group packet that will bedistributed at the kickoff. Participants are only allowed to signup with one organization to earn spirit points.

There are 30 different projects involved in Community ServiceDay. The projects range from walking dogs at a canine orphanage tobuilding a house for Habitat for Humanity. Groups can select apreferred area of interests when registering. However, projects areassigned according to priority on a first come first servebasis.

“Not only is it a kick off to Homecoming, it is also akick off to volunteerism in Dallas,” Kelly Cowdery, CommunityService Day advisor.

She feels Community Service Day provides a way for students toget involved in the community, and hopes it interests them tovolunteer throughout college.

The event will kick off at 11:30 a.m. at the flagpole. StudentFoundation will sponsor a catered lunch from Sonny Bryan’sBBQ for the first 500 participants at the kickoff. Students needtheir own transportation, however, bus transportation is providedfor three of the projects. Students will return to campus around4:30 p.m. Last year, 300 people participated in the event.According to Carpi, this year’s goal is 700 participants.