Why we love Family Weekend

How students really benefit from having their parents in town

Let’s face it, Family Weekend is awesome. And I’m not just plugging school activities, I mean all around. Let me explain.

Family weekend is the time when you eat the best food in Dallas. Mom and Dad want to experience the tastiest Tex-Mex and the most succulent steaks our fine city has to offer. For one weekend you are stuffed with delicious food. The doggie bags aren’t too bad either. The food will carry over to at least Wednesday.

The fact is that this weekend is like Christmas. Northpark mall will teem with students and doting parents who are just so happy to see their babies.

“Are you okay on cash?”

“Do you need new clothes?”

“How are you doing on makeup?”

“We should go to the grocery store and get some things while we’re here…”

The list goes on and on. And it’s a great list. Suddenly dorm rooms are overflowing with bags of new high heels, shirts, dresses and anything else you could possibly want. Over the next two weeks, girls will strut their stuff to bus parties and fraternity houses with brand-new everything.

Family Weekend is the time when college students, especially Mustangs, bank.

The goods are great, but Family Weekend brings out a side in parents some rarely see. It all happens at the fraternity houses.

Was your father in a fraternity? Well, he might just relive his glory days over the weekend. And why shouldn’t he? Taking your parents to your favorite bars and watching them spend a Friday night like you do is a memory that should be cherished.

And it’s not just the frat houses and bars! Your parents will be tailgating- excuse me, enjoying a lovely Southern Methodist time on the Boulevard. So grab mom and dad a koozie from the bookstore! While you’re at it, pick up a frat-tastic polo for dad.

Don’t forget the Iron Skillet game- I mean, we beat TCU in 2005. People actually jumped from the stands and ran onto the field. I would be lying if I said it wasn’t amazing.

Shouldn’t your parents see that? It could happen! After all, June no longer cometh, he’s here.

If your parents haven’t seen the Dedman Center, take them there. We have a rock wall for crying out loud. And a tanning pool. Who wouldn’t want to see the tanning pool?

But remember, Family Weekend is like Christmas. You’re with your family, and you get presents. Lots of them. BRING ON FAMILY WEEKEND!!!