AAAHC gives Health Center accreditation

The SMU Memorial Health Center recently received accreditation from the Accreditation Associated for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC).

“We believe our patients deserve the best,” Health Center Director Pat Hite said. “When you see our certificate of accreditation, you will know that the AAAHC, an independent, not-for-profit organization, has closely examined our facility and procedures. It means that we as an organization care enough about our patients to strive for the highest care possible.”

To become accredited, the health center underwent a self-assessment and an on-site survey by AAAHC surveyors. The surveyors are volunteers and active in ambulatory health care. They are physicians, nurses and administrators. The survey is designed to help an organization improve its services.

“Going through the process challenged us to find better ways to serve our patients, and it is a constant reminder that our first responsibility is to our patients and the quality of care we provide,” Hite said.

The Health Center currently offers services for the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses and minor injuries. This includes immunizations, treatment of minor illnesses, minor surgery, consultations with physicians and continuing treatments such as allergy injections. The Center also offers clinics in gynecology, dermatology and sports medicine.

Counseling services and health education are also available to students.