Women’s soccer tops Cal State Fullerton, falls to USC

The SMU Mustangs defeated Cal State Fullerton in a 1-0 victory Friday night at Titan Stadium.

Freshman Logan May scored her first college career goal, giving the Mustangs the only point they would need to secure their second win of the season. May’s goal also led to the Mustangs’ first road win of the season.

May’s goal occurred in the 57th minute when she blasted a cross pass into the left of the net from freshman teammate Kaitlyn Eidson past Cal State’s goalkeeper Shannon Simpson.

The previously nationally recognized Titans, who fell to 4-4-0 after their fourth consecutive loss of the season, received 15 votes from the National Soccer Coaches of America Association polls, after being ranked in the Top 25 earlier in the season.

SMU defenders junior Kim Peabody, sophomore Kristin Medeiros and freshman Alex Russell helped the Mustang defense put a strong wall up against the CSF offense, shutting down 16 shots from the Titans, including five shots blocked by senior goalkeeper Ashley Gunter in the first half.

The Mustangs had just two shots in the first half compared to CSF’s nine, but compared to Gunter’s eight saves, Cal State Fullerton’s goalkeeper did not record any saves in the 90 minutes of play.

Sunday’s game against the defending NCAA champion University of Southern California provided a different result for the Mustangs, as SMU faced their fifth shutout of the season in a 4-0 loss.

Gunter struggled in the first 45 minutes, allowing the No. 4 Trojans to slip four goals past her. She was later replaced by freshman goalkeeper Courtney Webb, who saved all 11 shots aimed at her in the final half of the weekend series.

USC scored the winning goal just three and half minutes in when Marihelen Tomer received a cross pass from left field from teammate Amy Rodriquez. The Trojans’ second goal followed just eight minutes later when Megan Ohai picked up a center pass from teammate Stacey Strong, and sent the ball from center field past SMU’s Gunter.

Goals three and four closed out the first 45 minutes, when Ashley Nick knocked in a corner kick from USC’s Ashli Sandoval in the 14th minute, followed by a fourth and final goal in the 37th minute with an unassisted shot by Nini Loucks caught off a rebounded save from Gunter.

Up by four at the half, USC totaled 37 shots against the Mustangs and 22 shots on goal overall, taking the game far out of reach for SMU to come back and win. The Mustangs had just one shot on goal from sophomore Lauren Shepherd. Shepherd tried to help out in the second half with two shots, with May contributing one, but the Mustangs offense could not break through USC goalkeepers Kristin Olsen and Brittany Massro.

The Mustangs stand at 2-5-1 heading into Conference USA play next weekend at SMU’s Westcott Field. SMU will host 6-2-1 Colorado College on Sept. 26 at 7 p.m.