Student artwork on display

Yesterday marked the first day of the BFA exhibit in the Pollock gallery. The gallery’s exhibit, which opened Monday, featured nine SMU students artwork from a variety of styles and mediums.

This is the 2010 spring exhibition of Bachelor of Fine Arts candidates in the Division of Art. 

The Pollock Gallery, located in Hughes-Trigg Student Center, mission is to place artwork within the gallery so it can compliment the environment as well to create an opportunity for students and staff to experience different cultural images from a range of time periods and artists.

The works of art featured range in all mediums from oil on paper, oil on canvas, prints, etching and TV/video installation.

All of the mediums used allows a variety for the viewer, which in turn, lets there be a piece of art for everyone. Brooks Oliver’s porcelain bowls catch the viewer’s eye immediately.
His work entitled Nesting Bowls feature an electric blue center that is alluring.

One of this other works features a similar color but all over the vessels. This work is entitled Peter and Liz.

There are painting of nude women in neutral tones throughout the gallery, but what is eye catching about the center of the room is a structure by Lauren Biedenharn.

If Biedenharn’s electric colored work was not enough to draw your attention, you come across a shopping cart that one would automatically pair with a homeless person.

The TV/video installation depicts a reel of a homeless person, and a TV in which you are depicted.

This is by far the most unique, yet thought provoking piece thus far.

The exhibit is open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and ends May 15. It free to the public.

For more information on the exhibit and the featured artists visit www.mcs.smu.edu.