Letter from the Editor

The hardest part of running a college newspaper is time management, figuring out when covering a story overrules going to class, time spent in the newsroom, time spent doing homework and time to sleep.

The second hardest thing is generating news content that students care about, that students want to read and most importantly that students will write.

Another issue is the size of the paper. Advertisers decide how big the paper is each day. If there are more ads the paper is larger, if there are less ads the paper is smaller. That causes another content problem.

Some days we have enough stories to fill eight pages, but only have six. Other days we have only enough to fill six, but have eight.

And finally, quality of the content is another issue.

Some stories require little to no editing, some require minimal editing and some require heaving editing. That is not a problem. We are another tool that can help improve writing, but you must understand that if a story does require more editing than another, it might not run the next day.

In reference to Courtenay Paris’ inquiry about the Hanson Q&A not running in Friday’s issue of the paper:

If you pick up Friday’s issue you will see a story about the Kappa Alpha Order’s 5K Run, a picture of tents being set up in front of Dallas Hall, a chart showing what students fell are relevant issues in the world and yes, an Associated Press story.

The AP story was another problem with content, we run on a deadline. If we don’t get a story in time for publication we cannot run it. We were waiting on a story that did not come in until too late, and therefore the front page was rearranged and an AP story was placed.

I understand the work Paris put into the event, and if you pick up Thursday’s issue you will see a story about it, publicizing the event, something Paris said we did not do.

And in today’s paper you will see the Q&A with Isaac Hanson.

We do our best to get you the news we believe is relevant to you. But if you feel that we are not doing this you have options:

Tell us what you want to read about.

Tell us any ideas you have to make it better.

But most of all, write something for us. Our content comes from the students. If there is something you want to read about, then write about it.

Jordan Hofeditz

Editor in Chief

[email protected]