Volleyball faces UCF in home match

The SMU volleyball team dives into the bulk of its conference schedule tonight at 7 p.m. when it takes on the University of Central Florida at Moody Coliseum.

The Mustangs (7-7, 0-1 Conference USA) return to the court Sunday at 1 p.m. to face the University of Southern Mississippi. SMU faced both teams on the road last season and won both matchups.

The Mustangs, who have captured only a win in their last five games, dropped their first conference match last week against defending champion Tulsa and lost two of three matches last weekend at the Denver Invitational.

SMU’s defense ranks 27th in NCAA Division I in digs per set (16.19), which puts them behind only Rice in the conference. The Mustangs’ defense have also been impressive at the net, led by 6-footers Kendra Kahanek and Natalie Peters, who have combined for 98 total blocks this season.

Getting back on the winning track this weekend won’t be easy for the Mustangs. Central Florida (9-5) has won its last five matches ­ all of them on the road. Southern Mississippi (10-4) has won three of its last four and didn’t drop a set in two matches last weekend at their tournament, the Southern Miss La Quinta Invitational.

Central Florida’s attack is led by junior Erin Campbell, who has tallied 179 kills this season. She was the Most Valuable Player at the La Quinta Invitational, registering 49 kills and 26 digs in two matches. Sophomore Lauren Rosenthal won Conference USA Setter of the Week after averaging 13.6 assists in the weekend tournament.

The Eagles have relied on sensational defense thus far. Southern Mississippi has 598 digs this season, compared to 570 for their opponents.

Stevi Cherry leads the Eagles in kills with 120, and Sarah Jane Bowden has 11 block solos.