Women’s soccer rebounds for win

A loss in the first game of Conference USA play was not in the plan for the Southern Methodist University women’s soccer team in Friday night’s match up against Colorado College.

“It was devastating,” said head coach Brent Erwin. “I think that for 80 minutes of that game we played very well. In that game we showed great chances.”

In a 2-1 defeat, the Mustangs were handed their first conference loss of the season, putting them at just 2-6-1. Colorado College improved to 7-3-1 on the season.

Battling it out through a scoreless first half, the Mustang offense fired off nine shots, but was met by Colorado’s defense and goalkeeper Cailtin Hulyo on each effort. The Tigers, recording just three shots in the first 45 minutes were stopped with a combined effort from SMU’s Kim Peabody, Kristin Medeiros and Carly Phillips.

Colorado’s offense came out strong in the second half, scoring the first goal of the game just five minutes in when midfielder Molly Uyenishi headed in a corner kick received from teammate Elizabeth Wright.

SMU answered back just nine minutes later when sophomore midfielder Lauren Shepherd intercepted the ball in left field, crossing to the center, and sending the ball soaring to the upper right corner of the goal, just over Hulyo’s head. The point marked Shepherd’s first goal of the season.

“That was definitely the goal of the year so far,” reflected assistant coach Derek Leader. “It was an unbelievable shot.”

Locked down at 1-1 at the end of the half, the Mustangs continued to outshoot the Tigers. Led by freshman Logan May, who nearly matched Colorado’s shot count, the Mustangs put up 10 more attempts in the second half, but were denied with four saves and a strong defensive performance by their opponent.

“We were on track to win that game, but unfortunately when they scored that goal it just devastated us,” said Erwin. “I think we just never really mounted the fight back after that.”

May finished out the game with seven shots, and three shots on goal; four shots more than any other player.

The winning goal came in the 83rd minute when Sydney Fetter scored on a rebounded shot from teammate Tiffany Brown.

It’s a shame we lost this game because we should have won,” said Leader. “I thought we outplayed them, but we’re getting scrappier and tougher with every game.”

In Sunday’s game the Mustangs faced a different fate, defeating the University of Texas in El Paso 1-0.

Shepherd ended the Miner’s four-game winning streak with a break away pass from freshman Devon Herrman, leading to a 13 yard path for Shepherd’s second consecutive goal of the season.

Freshman Courtney Webb started in goal for SMU and allowed the shutout in just her second collegiate start, recording five saves. UTEP goalie Sara Kaltwasser had seven saves, six of which happened in the second half.

“Webb did fantastic,” said Erwin. “Everything that came over the top she got. [Webb] comes and gets the shots. She is so direct, the ball would come in and she would be able to come out and get it. She could break it up so UTEP never got a shot.”

The Mustangs and Miners matched one another shot for shot, totaling 16 shots a piece in 90 minutes of play.

With two conference games in the books, SMU stands at 3-6-1 and 1-1-0 in C-USA heading into a four-game road trip. The Miners dropped to 8-3-0 and 1-1.

“We’ve had time to mature and progress as players,” explained Erwin. “It comes down to everything coming together.”

The Mustangs will be back on the Hilltop to host Memphis on Oct.17 at 7 p.m.