One reason SMU rocks

Brown Bag show is about to blow us away… again.Looking for something to do between classes next week? The talented dancers over at Meadows are ready to present the Brown Bag Dance Series. Brown Bag

Looking for something to do between classes next week? The talented dancers over at Meadows are ready to present the Brown Bag Dance Series.

Brown Bag is held twice a year in the spring and fall. Here’s the best part, it’s completely free for anyone on campus to attend.

Organized entirely by students from the dance department, freshmen through seniors work together to choreograph single and group routines to a variety of musical collections.

Brown Bag’s name comes from the idea that students should be able to enjoy their lunch (which doesn’t necessarily have to be in a brown bag) while watching the dancers.

We love Brown Bag because it is the perfect way to take a load off during that one or two hour break most students have in the middle of the day. Many students spend four (or more) years on our campus without experiencing a single event Meadows has to offer. Brown Bag is a convenient way for students to delve into the university’s arts without straying too far from campus.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t do a split. Or a backflip. Let’s be honest, I can only touch my toes on a really good day. Ask me to dance, and I’ll awkwardly wiggle my hips in a corner. If you’re like me, and you don’t have to admit if you are, then you can really appreciate someone who can do these things without even trying- except wiggling the hips awkwardly, of course.

We know many of you tune into reality dance shows on a nightly basis, so why not look at this as SMU’s very own version of “So You Think You Can Dance?”

If you think it’s good on t.v. then wait until you see it in person. There are few things more rewarding than watching an out-of-this-world dance concert while chowing down on chicken nuggets. Talk about a way to take your mind off of class.

It’s times like these when you really have to appreciate how great SMU is. How many schools would let their students do this? For one thing, amazingly talented get the chance to show off their dancing skills in front of not only their peers, but Dallas residents. Secondly, we get to see it for free. How many schools do that?

So if you have some spare time, come watch some of SMU’s finest show you why quitting ballet when you were six years-old was the worst decision you ever made.

Oh, and don’t forget to bring your lunch!