Brown Bag Dance Series to begin next week

Once again the Brown Bag Dance Series is coming to Southern Methodist University. Presented twice a year, the series is put on by the dance students in Meadows School of the Arts. Beginning Sept. 29 and running through Oct. 3, the 50-minute series will feature lunchtime performances of 10 to 15 short ballet, modern dance and jazz works.

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday the series will begin at noon. On Tuesday and Thursday it will start at 12:30 p.m. Brown Bag will take place in the Hope Lobby of the Owen Arts Center. Admission is free.

The series is “completely student-driven. It is just for fun and very special. It is the students’ favorite event,” said Danny Buraczeski, associate professor in the Division of Dance and artistic director of the Brown Bag Dance Series.

The series features numbers that are choreographed and performed by Meadows students. Students will perform original pieces as well as reconstructions of classical works.

Before the series, the dances will be presented to an Adjudication Panel made up of four faculty members. Eighteen dances will be shown and the panel will then decide which will be featured in the series.

Presenting a wide range of styles, this series has become one of the most popular on campus.

“It gets students out of wherever their head is…it’s easy to get lost in,” said Buraczeski. “The dancers’ energy is contagious.”

Buraczeski recommends coming to the event 15 minutes early. The popularity of the event “builds- by Thursday and Friday people are hanging by the rafters,” Buraczeski said.

For more information on the Brown Bag Dance Series call (214)-768-2718.