Netflix gets rid of Qwikster

Netflix was quick to nix Qwikster, its proposed new service that would separate the media company’s online streaming and at-home DVD service.

The cut, which was announced on Netflix’s blog by the company’s CEO Reed Hastings, will keep Netflix’s DVD service and online streaming together at the company’s main website.

“It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs,” Hastings wrote in the blog.

Qwikster, which was announced earlier in September, was supposed to be Netflix’s next move in the company’s plan to move to an all-online streaming service. However, when many of Netflix’s customers began cancelling their accounts, the company’s stock and brand value took a major hit.

Adding insult to injury, Qwikster was just another PR disaster for the media company who received major public fallout after raising its pricing plans in July.

Hoping to create more revenue, the company split its popular DVD and streaming service into two plans, charging $7.99 for each, which for some customers resulted in an almost 80% price hike.

“While the July price change was necessary we are now done with price changes,” Hasting continued in his blog.

Even though the company may be in the midst of major changes, the media giant is still garnering impressive additions to its ever-expanding online media library.

Most notability, the company announced that it is partnering with AMC to bring its customers AMC’s very popular show, “The Walking Dead.”

So, what does Qwikster’s quick killing mean for the company? Is this a new beginning for the ailing brand? Or is it just another step in the seemingly endless cycle of poor PR move for the company?

One thing’s for sure, Netflix certainly has some ground to make up.