Celebration of Lights

+Celebration+of+Lights
John Schreiber
Celebration of Lights

Celebration of Lights (John Schreiber)

It may have been 60 degrees outside, but Christmas was in the air Sunday night as people gathered in front of Dallas Hall for the 27th annual Celebration of Lights.

The event, sponsored by Student Foundation, brings together the SMU and Dallas communities to celebrate the holidays.

“As we move through this blessed Christmas season, let us remember who we are and whose we are,” said university chaplain Dr. William Finnin before the invocation.

The ceremony began by the light of homemade luminaries and handheld candles. The Garland High School Chamber Singers, clad in “A Christmas Carol”-esque costumes, performed classic carols, including “Jingle Bells” and “Deck the Halls.”

A men’s quartet followed with holiday favorites such as “A Christmas Song” and “White Christmas.” The Voices of Inspiration concluded the choral performances with a moving rendition of “O Come, All Ye Faithful,” and the audience joined in the singing of more carols, accompanied by a brass quartet.

President R. Gerald Turner then continued one of the ceremony’s key traditions.

“For the 27 years of this festival of lights, it’s been the privilege of the university president to read the Christmas story,” he said, proceeding to share Luke 2:1-16 with the crowd.

After more carols, 138,500 bright lights turned on, illuminating Dallas Hall, surrounding trees and the large Christmas tree in front of the hall. The audience concluded the ceremony with “Silent Night” amidst the impressive display.

People attending the ceremony were invited to Hughes-Trigg ballroom for a reception of warm drinks and holiday snacks.

Special guests included 50 children from the Cesar Chavez Learning Enhancement Center, sponsored by various campus organizations. Families, children and their sponsors were invited to their own reception. The Varsity was transformed into “Peruna’s Workshop,” full of candy, drinks and crafts for the kids and completed by a special visit from Santa. The children also received gifts from their sponsors.

“I thought it went wonderfully,” Megan Kinsey, Student Foundation campus events chair, said of the event. “The lights were amazing. I couldn’t have asked for a better ceremony.”

Celebration of Lights (John Schreiber)

Celebration of Lights (John Schreiber)