Lady Mustangs improve to 4-0

Anyone who grew up playing basketball had envisioned the situation. Clock running down, tie game, tournament title in the balance, and the ball resting in your hands. Katy Cobb may only be a first-year but she knew what to do. “I wanted the ball,” Cobb said, “and I wanted the shot.”

And the rest of the Lady Mustangs are glad Cobb was confident as she nailed a 15-footer with ten seconds left while being fouled to give SMU the decisive three points in a 72-69 victory over Mississippi (2-2). Kendall Shead closed out the win with a block of an Ole Miss three-pointer at the buzzer to give the Lady Mustangs the title of the SMU Hoops for the Cure Classic.

Cobb was named tournament MVP for her performance over the two games. She averaged twelve points and her confidence in the clutch was huge according to Coach Rhonda Rompola. “The play was designed to go inside, but they [Ole Miss] did a good job of closing off the lane,” Rompola said, “and Katy did a great job of creating her own shot. She definitely wants the ball in that type of situation.”

In the championship contest, the trio of posts, Janielle Dodds, Sarah Davis and Shonte Roberts led the Lady Mustangs. Dodds led the team in scoring with 15 on seven-of-11 shooting from the field. Davis struggled from the floor as she shot only three-for-14, but her energy was huge as she still scored 13 points by getting to the free throw line, and added 13 rebounds and four blocked shots.

Roberts is the lone senior on the squad and came up huge with 13 points on six-of-10 shooting from the field. Roberts’ play over the two days (she had 21 against Mercer) allowed her to be named to the all-tournament team.

“Shonte is playing solid all-around basketball,” Rompola said. “She is rebounding strong and really being a leader.” Roberts, along with Dodds and Davis, spearheaded SMU’s domination of the boards as the Lady Mustangs out-rebounded the Rebels 52-39 on the night.

The win was instrumental for the Lady Mustangs as Ole Miss went to the NCAA tournament a year ago, a place the team wants to be.

“It really helps our confidence because to have the type of season we want to have to beat all the teams we are on paper better then, and also beat some teams that on paper we aren’t supposed to beat” Rompola said. “Getting two wins already against tournament teams from last year [Maine and Ole Miss] really helps our RPI.”

The Lady Mustangs made it to the championship game after a balanced effort Friday night in a 99-77 win against Mercer (2-2). SMU had five players score in double figures led by Roberts’ 21-point, seven-rebound, four-assist effort.

The Lady Mustang defense keyed a 17-point run early in the first half as they utilized a trapping zone defense that allowed the Lady Mustangs to push the tempo. Kendall Shead was large all night getting three steals to go along with her 13 points and six assists.

Freshman Jocelyn Greenard chipped in 13 points and Katie Gross added 15 on three-of-six shooting from three-point range. SMU, as a team, shot the ball well, shooting 51 percent from the field, 50 percent from behind the arc and 80 percent from the free throw line. SMU just missed out on scoring 100 points for the first time since Jan. 25, 1997 as Gross missed a runner at the buzzer.

The Mustangs travel to Fort Worth to take on the TCU Horned Frogs (5-1). TCU is coming off wins against No. 3 Georgia and No. 13 Michigan St. in their championship run in the Rainbow Wahine Classic in Honolulu. Fox Sports Southwest will televise the battle for Metroplex bragging rights at 7 p.m., Thursday night.