Volleyball adds MSU Bulldog

Volleyball Head Coach Lisa Seifert announced that SMU has acquired setter Madison Hill from Mississippi State University. Hill will be replacing departing starting junior setter Jessica Mihm. A native of Houston, Texas, Hill is a first year transfer to SMU this semester and will be eligible to play in the 2005 season.

“I transferred from Mississippi State because it was just too far for me. I was looking at playing somewhere else and SMU needed a setter so things fell into place,” Hill said.

“We are excited to have Madison as part of our team,” Seifert said in a press release. “Madison is a very athletic setter and will contribute immediately. Her height and jumping ability will enhance the versatility of our offense.”

Her future teammates agree. “I’m really excited about her joining,” junior middle blocker Kelly Larkan said. “She works extremely hard, has an excellent work ethic and is very athletic.”

Hill hopes to bring “enthusiasm, leadership and a fun attitude” to the team. “I love to work hard but I think it’s important if you’re enjoying it too. Its hard coming in as a transfer, but the girls have all been really accepting.”

Larkan agrees: “The setter is like the quarterback, and has to be a leader on the court, both physically and vocally.”

We have become a stronger team both on and off the court. Madison fits in perfectly with all of our plans for the team,” Larkan said.

Hill played in 45 games over 19 matches for the Bulldogs in 2004. She averaged 4.13 assists and 0.96 digs per game on the season. Hill gained playing time as the season progressed, playing 23 games over the final six matches and averaging 4.82 assists and 1.39 digs in that stretch. She set a personal best of 26 assists in the 3-1 win over Troy State on Oct. 17.

Hill is looking forward to playing the teams in Conference USA, but is not sure what to expect. “The SEC has a lot of very solid teams. Florida and Tennessee were amazing; there was never an easy match. I haven’t experienced the C-USA so I guess I’ll just have to see.”

There are a lot of differences between Mississippi State and SMU, but Hill says she is making the adjustment pretty well. “I love the campus, I love the people, and I love the city. Starkville, Miss. was so much smaller than this. I’m a city girl so it’s great to be here. There is a lot more to do here. I liked State; but I really think I’m going love it here.”

Hill was a three-year starting setter and four-year letter-winner at Houston’s Cypress Creek High School. She also earned all-district honors twice for Coach Debbie Jaehne, serving as team captain in both her junior and senior seasons. Hill spent eight seasons with the Willowbrook Select club volleyball team, helping lead her team to nationals each year.