Volleyball faces conference rivals on the road over weekend series

The SMU volleyball team looks to continue its two-game winning streak against Conference USA opponents this weekend, when it travels 200 miles south on Interstate 45 to face two in-state rivals, the? Rice Owls and Houston Cougars.

The Mustangs (9-7, 2-1 in conference) face the Owls (9-3, 1-1) at 7 p.m. Friday at Fox Gymnasium, Rice’s home facility.? The Cougars (7-7, 0-2) look to stop a two-game slide Saturday at 7 p.m., when they square off against the Mustangs.

Both Rice and Houston had a handful of games cancelled in mid-September due toz of Hurricane Ike, but both teams have performed well since then.

Rice rebounded to win its next four games – all of them on the road – before falling to Tulane in four sets Tuesday. The Cougars, after having their home tournament cancelled by the hurricane, entered the UT Arlington/Holiday Inn Invitational on Sept. 19-20 and shut out both of their opponents

Houston, however, has fallen on hard times since starting conference play last Friday. Tulane and Texas-El Paso have swept the Cougars in straight sets, but a match this Friday against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane will be the team’s first home contest against a conference opponent this season

After enduring a brief dry spell, SMU gained steam last weekend when it defeated conference opponents Southern Mississippi and Central Florida.

SMU is led defensively by libero Sidney Stewart, who has 246 digs, and middle blocker Kendra Kahanek, who has stuffed 73 attack attempts at the net.

The Owls are led offensively by setter Meredith Schamun, who is third in the nation in assists per set (11.88) this season. Schamun distributed 104 assists in two matches last weekend, averaging 13 assists per set.

Thanks in part to Schamun’s ability to set up the offense, the Owls average a stellar .253 attack percentage, compared to SMU’s .205.

Senior outside hitter Justine Farmer leads Houston’s offense, which has tallied 652 kills this season – 40 more than its opponents. Sophomore Amanda Carson leads the Cougars with 28 service aces. Setter Kelsey King has 541 assists, which is 529 more than the next highest member of the team.