Students celebrate Israel, get a taste of country’s culture

SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus
SMU alumnus Sebastian Jluzman, from left, talks with SMU students Sahar Pezeshki and Nima Khavari during the Israel

SMU alumnus Sebastian Jluzman, from left, talks with SMU students Sahar Pezeshki and Nima Khavari during the Israel (SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus)

Many people do not think about the state of Israel beyond its political significance; however, it is a dynamic and vibrant country. With an exotic and historically rich culture, Israel has major urban cities, picturesque beaches and a thriving economy.

Hillel of Dallas and SMU Jewish Students Association hosted the Israel Fair Wednesday afternoon.

The purpose of the fair was to “celebrate Israel,” Rabbi Heidi Cortez, director of Hillel of Dallas, explained.

Eric Cohen, a representative from the Academic Affairs of the Israel Consult in Dallas, promoted Israeli-American cultural understanding.

The Israel Consult was thrilled that they were invited to meet with SMU students.

“We’re excited to be here. We’re here to talk about Israel and the shared values between Israel and [the] United States,” Cohen said.

Hughes-Triggs Student Center Commons was decorated in blue and white Israel flags and tables were set up promoting Israel study abroad opportunities and cultural information.

Members of the Hillel of Dallas community provided a free lunch of pita chips, hummus and falafel for SMU students.

Freshman pre-medical students Karin Kuusito and Alison Liu both enjoyed sampling Israeli food. Engineering student Roman Stolyarov agreed that the food was delicious. He attended the fair because he wanted to “learn some new information about Israeli culture.”

Students were given the opportunity to have their names written in Hebrew while Hebrew rock music blasted in the background.

Freshman Brad Graves felt that the authentic international music was a great touch to fair.

The fair also promoted travel and educational experiences between America and Israel.

Miranda Weiner from the Center for Jewish Education of Jewish Federal of Greater Dallas distributed flyers and packets regarding service trips and various study abroad opportunities in Israel.

“It’s becoming more and more popular to study abroad in Israel. There’s something for everyone,” Weiner said.