News briefs

MLK Day events

The Center for Teaching Excellency handed out the 2003-2004 Golden Mustang awards and the 2003-2004 President’s Associates awards.

Corporate Communications and Public Affairs professor Vanessa Beasley and Mechanical Engineering professor David Willis were the recipients of the prestigious Golden Mustang award.

Beasley received her PH.D. at the University of Texas in 1996, she joined the SMU faculty in 2002 after teaching at Texas A&M. She currently teaches the classes Public Opinion, The Press and Public Policy and CCPA Research. She is also a published author of political books. Her current book is entitled You the People: American National Identity in Presidential Rhetoric.

Willis joined the SMU faculty after receiving his doctor from Purdue in 2001. Willis teaches both graduate and undergraduate courses. Some of those courses include Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer, Introduction to Mechanics and Optics and Laser-Assisted Manufacturing. Willis also received the outstanding faculty award in the Mechanical Engineering department in 2003.

The President’s Associates awards were given to English professor Nina Schwartz and Management and Organizations professor Don Vandewalle.

Schwartz received her Ph.D. in English from the Univesity of California-Irvine in 1983. She currently teaches a range of courses including Poetry, Fiction, Literary Theory and The Archaeology of Self and Ethics. She has received numerous awards for her teaching as well as her writing.

Vandewalle has taught at the Cox School of Business since he received his doctorate from the University of Minnesota in 1995. He teaches in the MBA program for the business school. He has written several scholarly articles on goal orientation. Vandewalle has been on the Cox Superior Teaching Recognition Roster since 1995 and received the Master Teacher Award from the Unversity of Texas in 1998 and 1999.

SMU Sophomore to perform at Virgin Megastore

Today at 4 p.m. nineteen-year-old SMU sophomore and former 2002 Miss Teen Texas Britney Wells will perform songs from her current project, “Loving Every Minute of It” at the Virgin Records Virgin Mega Store. Wells’ appearance is part of the Virgin Records “100 Acts of Support – The Concerts for Tsunami Relief.” Afterwards, Wells will remain to sign CD copies of her Oct. 2004 release album, which includes fourteen songs.

Wells, who is signed with Nashville based Spindletop Records, released her single debut album and video “From Harm’s Way” in 2002. She is an advertising major in the Meadows School of Arts.