Weekends off track

Mustang Express an inconvenience by only running on weekdays

Now if there’s one thing that Ed Board enjoys, it’s convenience. One of the most convenient things this campus offers, at least to those students who don’t own or have use of a vehicle, is public transportation.

There are several public transportation options in the city, including the DART trains and buses. And although many students are more acquainted with the buses to parties downtown, there is another bus which is equally useful.

The Mustang Express is a shuttle service from campus to Mockingbird Station, Lovers Station, Krogers, Central Market and Tom Thumb, as well as points in between.

What makes this transportation so useful is the fact that rides are courtesy of SMU. Although this actually means that rides are courtesy of your tuition, it’s still nice to be able to get a “free ride”.

Also, the shuttle allows students to bypass the traffic, and panhandlers that can be found on Central Expressway.

The Mustang Shuttle isn’t perfect though. It has one major flaw, namely that it doesn’t operate on the weekends.

Now think about it, a service to take you around town, or at least to the grocery store, and it doesn’t operate on weekends.

During a short survey at The Daily Campus, it was found that the majority go shopping on weekends. It just makes sense. You don’t have to worry about getting back to campus in time to make it to class.

So the Mustang Shuttle doesn’t work on the weekends. That’s fine.

Just as long as no real transportation services are cut off on the weekends right?

Actually, there are rail lines that don’t run on Sundays. Including the Trinity Railway to Fort Worth.

So if you want to travel to Fort Worth, you can’t leave on Friday or Saturday and come back Sunday.

You could come back Monday morning, but who wants to do that?

Ed Board believes that SMU should spend the extra money to enable the shuttle to run on weekends, although perhaps not as often as it runs on weekdays.

We do not feel that we are able to make a comment about the Fort Worth rail, except that it’s darn inconvenient and we wish it weren’t.