Student Senate provides Sorority Crosswalk update

University Park and SMU officials have agreed to begin construction on a lighted crosswalk on Airline Road near sorority row during winter break, according to Student Body Secretary Erika Briceno.

The crosswalk is expected to be completed by Recruitment. Briceno said UP and SMU are meeting on Friday to discuss the upcoming construction.

Briceno also said that she will meet with Panhellenic to discuss the possibility of having sororities act as crossing guards in order to prevent accidents. Briceno stated that many people had liked the idea as a solution for slowing down traffic and making the road safer for crossing pedestrians.

The planned construction comes after Sens. Whitney Stenger and Taylor Thornley started a petition to University Park and Sens. Sarah Acosta, Michael Goodman and Erika Briceno wrote a resolution encouraging SMU to support the installation of a crosswalk last semester. Student Senate passed the resolution unanimously.

Students have expressed concerns about the road, noting that traffic on the street does not always stop for pedestrians and the curved road can make it difficult for drivers to see if someone is crossing.

There have been several near-misses and at least one serious accident on the road.

In 2001, two SMU students were involved in a hit-and-run. Katherine Gordon, then 20, suffered a twisted knee, broken pelvis and punctured bladder. Jacqueline Nochisaki, then 19, suffered a broken pelvis and needed 18 stitches in her head after she was thrown 82 feet from the impact site. Gordon underwent surgery to repair four breaks in her pelvis.

Student Senate also discussed the schedule for the student code of conduct revisions and Senate’s goal of increasing student feedback. Members voted to approve Joseph Esau as an Engineering Senator.