Law school threat

Local media outlets reported last night that an SMU law student allegedly made threats over the weekend to go on a classroom shooting rampage.

Due to the threat, Dedman law school administrators decided to cancel Monday night’s classes. In a memo, the dean’s office informed students and faculty of the law school that classes were canceled. Those classes did resume Tuesday night.

Allegedly, the student told a fellow law school classmate of his plan over the weekend while drinking in a bar.

That student then notified the police of the threat.

The police report of the incident says the accused student may have “purchased six guns” in order to carry out his attack. It also portrays the accused student as someone who hated lawyers despite his enrollment in the law school.

Currently, the Dallas Police Department and the FBI are investigating the case. As of midnight, no arrests had been made.

If arrested, the student could be charged with making a terrorist threat, a third-degree felony.

The SMU police department would not comment on the occurrence or if any campus alerts were issued regarding the incident. Additionally, there is no alert posted on the SMU police department’s Web site.

SMU News and Information said they issued a statement on Tuesday.

In the statement, SMU authorities said they are aware of the student’s identity, but unsure of his whereabouts, but increased the security presence on campus as a precaution.

No additional class cancellations have been scheduled by law school officials.