Band out of parade

After marching in President George W. Bush’s 2001 Inaugural Parade, SMU band members, cheerleaders and pom squad members will not be participating this year due to a theme change.

“This year’s theme will honor the military and their families,” Jim Caswell, vice president of student affairs, said.

Caswell received word from Washington, D.C. in early December and sent a formal letter on Dec. 9 to Mustang band, cheerleaders and pom squad members relaying the Inaugural Committee’s decision and expressing his disappointment.

“We all hope and anticipate there may be other opportunities in the next four years for national exposure for SMU,” Caswell said.

In addition, Caswell named the only two bands from Texas chosen, the University of Texas and Texas A&M, who will march in the parade on Jan. 20.

Phil Jones, a trombone player in the SMU band, said the band’s presence at the Inaugural Parade would have made a decent representation of first lady Laura Bush’s college roots

“I was disappointed that they couldn’t find a spot for the first lady’s alma mater,” said Jones.

Jan. 20 marks President Bush’s second term in office and the 55th Inaugural ceremony in American history, the first having been held on April 30, 1789 for President George Washington on Wall Street in New York.